July 30, 2007

Crackpots at Commonwhine

Father Zuhlsdorf's blog has one of Father's patented incisive critiques. This time, Father discusses an article in Commonweal

Frankly, I could quit drinking for life if I played a game wherein I took a drink everytime Commonweal said something positive about the Faith and/or something accurate about the Faith.

I used to subscribe to that rag. Commonweal is extreme, even for a dissident Catholic. I got so sick and tired of the negativity and the whining that I dropped it. If you have so little respect for the Faith: leave.

I LOVE this section from the article by Rita Ferrone:

Before the council, women were forbidden to serve in liturgical ministries. They were kept outside the sanctuary-a very old taboo perceived by many today as sexist and out of keeping with our sense of the dignity of the baptized. This prohibition was ended after Vatican II.

Gentle Reader: If you don't have any BUSINESS in the Sanctuary or, I would add, the Sacristy, why SHOULD you be allowed there? Do I go to a restaurant to eat dinner and immediately charge into the kitchen and start nosing around? Or, do I go to the theater to see a play and decide to walk around backstage? Or, the next time I'm at the gym, I think I'll just stroll thru the Men's Locker Room since I think it's unfair that I'm not allowed to just walk thru and use their showers whenever I feel like it. Simplistic and outrageous analogies to be sure, but I think they make my point that perceived sexism is not the issue no matter how hard some people try to make it appear so. The real problem is people that can't hear the word: no.

There are areas of any building that are off-limits to the public for any number of reasons: safety, fear of theft, security, inappropriateness, and just because you are in the way of people trying to do their job.

7 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Great comments, Cathy. I was thinking a lot of the same things as I read Fr. Z's post. Your comment about wandering into the guys' locker room is priceless!

July 30, 2007 3:45 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I was married at St. Agnes in 1989, and can tell you the number of times I have been in the sacristy is zero and the times I have been on the altar is one...during the wedding. Like you said, it has nothing to do with sexist beliefs, I just have no business being there. And, it's not that I mean that I, as a woman don't have business there, neither do most men. The sacristy is not a social hall. The newly christened Schuler Hall is in the church basement and I can talk to the priest there.

July 30, 2007 4:14 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

What!? What do you MEAN womyn are EXCLUDED from the Men's lockerroom! That's preposterous in today's society!

Let's stage a protest!

And darn it, they are most certainly NOT allowed in OUR locker room, but we should not be excluded from theirs!


Just wondering....did you get tired of Commonweal while you were still a dissident? Interesting.

Do you know why I read your blog? Because you use big words like "incisive" properly and with great aplomb, and I appreciate it!

:-)

July 30, 2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Dang, Fr. Z beat me to it. The Twin Cities' favorite Austrailian Rainbow Warrior, from the CPCSM, featured that Commonweal article on The Wild Read today. He is getting very explicit.

I kind of monitor him like I do a few other web sites.

July 30, 2007 6:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

swissmiss: Exactly! Men with no reason to be there shouldn't be either.

Adoro: Yes, I wearied of Commonweal or Commonwhine, as I prefer to call it, in my dissident days. It's that bad.

July 30, 2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Yep, I can imagine what Mr. Bayly has to say. That's all I'm going to do: imagine.

July 30, 2007 6:49 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Good post!

August 01, 2007 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page