July 08, 2007

Catholic Humor

I'll let you in a little secret: Catholics can be funny! Catholics can have humor. We may not think Robin Williams is funny these days, but we do know how to laugh.

Mostly we laugh at ourselves and our situations.

I spend a lot of time making fun of Terry from the Abbey. Don't feel bad for him. If you read any of his blogs (actually, Terry has more than one because he has DID), you know I'm one of his favorite targets.

That's o.k., though, because I always laugh with the people I love and respect. Seriously.

Which brings me to the point of this post (See, Terry, it's not about you. Or, you, Ray!).

Magisterium Catholics can be funny!

Think about our clergy for a moment. How could any of our faithful Catholic priests have made it all these years without humor? My Pastor, Father Patrick Ryan celebrates 49 years (!) in service to Holy Church this year.

How could any of our good priests have made it thru our, formerly, appalling seminary with a good sense of humor?

How could my Pastor have made it 49 years without humor? (and he can be funny) Just think of all the history, some of it great, some of it nutty, he's seen in 49 years!

Everytime I see a certain priest of this Archdiocese I feel like I should apologize to him. Why?

For years, I hated him from afar. Up until a few years ago, I had never even met him, never seen him, never heard him preach, never heard him lecture, never read his writings. So, how could I have hated him?

It was not him that I hated, it was what he represented.

His existence threatened my so-called Catholicism. Here was a priest, who is not much older than I am, who toed the "party-line".

Once I met him, I came to realize he has a great sense of humor. He's orthodox, but he knows when to make a joke. And some of them are really funny. Some of his best humor is aimed at himself and his experiences.

I could write the same apology to any number of local priests. Men, whom I have now come to respect and admire. They were right and I was wrong. I don't even have to be funny about it to say it. There it is.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Tom Cruise said...

I just heard terry has been hospitalized for DID! How unkind of you to say that.

July 08, 2007 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Harvey said...

Totally off-topic here, but I once posted "towed the party line" as opposed to "toe the party line" - I know the origins of toe, but did you know both are correct? But someone kept sending me comments that I had it wrong. No - both are crrect in modern usage.

That always bugged me when I first started blogging.

This post has renewed the pain of that conflict all ove again for me. I hope you think that's funny, you humorous Catholic you.

July 08, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Ahhhh - help me out here. What's DID???

July 08, 2007 5:38 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Dissociative identity disorder?????????????? Did I guess right??

July 08, 2007 5:48 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I didn't know either, Adrienne. My guess started out with "double."

I suspect many of us pathological bloggers suffer from DID. We get to say the things that we would never say to people to their faces.

July 08, 2007 6:51 PM  
Anonymous nab said...

I think one of the hardest things to be is witty. Its easy to be a Jansenist, and its easy to be crude...a well-timed, well-turned joke is far funnier--and worth more than gold, in my book.
I've been reading Hugo Rahner's Man at Play, and its renewed my appreciation for the 'humorous Catholic.' He talks about the delight of God in the playing of the Logos, and how we must imitate His lightness because of the gravity of our soul--we are all naught before God and eternity, and it behooves us to take ourselves lightly, and our relationship with God seriously.

Sorry, thoughts and reflections are still a bit jumbled--but your post was providential for me.

July 08, 2007 7:18 PM  
Anonymous harrison Ford said...

I thought DID meant Dealing (with) Internet Disorder. But the dissociative identity thing sounds about right...coming from a woman who thinks she is Catherine O'Hara - meaning the writer of this blog. She writes from an institution you know.

(Seriously - nab - great comment.)

July 08, 2007 7:31 PM  
Anonymous nab said...

Mr. Ford, with all your dramatic roles, I didn't expect you to be such a fan of comedy.

July 08, 2007 8:52 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Err - I'm living with Calista - that's funny.

July 08, 2007 9:26 PM  
Anonymous nab said...

LOL

July 08, 2007 9:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

DID is dissociated identity disorder as Adrienne stated. As you can see, Terry and his "buddies" have been busy.

July 09, 2007 5:59 AM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Reminder everyone - on EWTN tonight:

THE WORLD OVER LIVE SPECIAL:
ANALYSIS OF MOTU PROPIO: SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM

Host Raymond Arroyo will discuss the newly- released papal document by Pope Benedict XVI widening use of the 1962 Roman Missal.

Guest include:
Most Rev. Fabian Bruskewitz, Bishop of Lincoln, Nebraska
Monsignor James Moroney, Executive Director of the USCCB Secretariat for the Liturgy
Fr. Kenneth Baker, SJ, Editor of Homiletic & Pastoral Review
Most Rev. Thomas G. Doran, Bishop of Rockford, Illinois

Fr. George Gabet, FSSP, North American District Superior of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter
July 9, 9 PM Live
July 13, 8 PM Encore


Link

And streaming video is available.

July 09, 2007 9:03 AM  
Blogger Richie D said...

Vincenzo--

will the broadcast be in English or Latin? Just kidding. Catholic humor.

July 09, 2007 10:26 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I hope one of you folks can tape this. I have my chant lesson tonight (he brags, knowing that he will be in big demand for schola work all over the country now that the MP has been published. If you have something to say to me, better say it before September 14)!

July 09, 2007 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Cliff Claven said...

I can't figure this post out at all.

July 09, 2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: I can record it for you.

Hi Terry!

July 09, 2007 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page