July 03, 2007

Avoid Sinners?

Gentle Reader: This last weekend, I stayed at a Bed & Breakfast with a couple of friends in Iowa City. This, particular, B&B is owned by a gay "couple". I have stayed there before and it is a beautiful place. The breakfast is excellent. Why would anyone, who says they are Catholic, "endorse" or "support" the gay lifestyle by staying in such a place?

I've thought about this a lot lately. It's true that they earned money from me for the weekend. However, if we limit ourselves to only being with saints, we will never leave our homes. In fact, I should go drown myself in Como Lake right now since I live with a sinner on a daily basis-myself.

In the news, in the last year, is the plan by Thomas Monaghan to build, what I consider, a Catholic ghetto in Florida. Have we reverted back to the founding days of our nation when Catholic loyalty to our nation was in question? Or, are we just too tired to evangelize so we want to hide out with our own kind?

Dissidents like to remind us, again and again, that Jesus socialized with sinners, outcasts and unbelievers. Yes, He did. However, Jesus never squandered an opportunity to rebuke, correct or teach these people to repent and change their lives. The last is the part that the dissidents usually forget to mention.

I think conservatives remember the last part about rebuking, correcting and teaching, but not the first about socializing with the different. I think we need to show and tell as many people as possible the glory and the truth of our Catholic Faith. You are never going to do this by avoiding them. You are never going to do this by solely limiting yourself to blogging or writing for Catholic journals-chances are non-Catholics or the fallen away are not going to read those sources anyway. The best way to reach others is to be there, right in the thick of it. Use words if necessary, as a great Saint once said.

I've said this time and again and I know it: Why are we so ashamed of our Faith? It's great to be with people that ONLY think the way you do. It's easier, certainly.

But, we are charged with bringing the light of Christ to others. We can teach amongst ourselves and we do that. However, at the end of the day, it's preaching to the choir.

Which is greater:

Persuading your already Catholic friend that Pope Benedict XVI is a greater writer than Pope John Paul II or, persuading a gay couple that children are better raised with married parents of the opposite sex?

Persuading a Protestant that Catholicism is the one, true, church founded by Christ, or, persuading your already Catholic friend that your parish is better than his?

During my stay at the B&B, I made an obvious trip to go to Mass on Sunday. My car has a Relevant Radio sticker on the back and one of the guys asked me about that. We had a long discussion on fiscal conservatism and we found out we have a lot in common there. We had a civil discussion about gay marriage and found out we don't have a lot in common there. No, they did not immediately decide to repent and reform their lives thanks to my overwhelmingly persuasive rhetoric. But, perhaps, it was the start of something. Perhaps, not, but I think we need to try.

Discussions like this will never take place, unless we step out of our comfort zones. I would not be where I am today, if Catholics had not stepped out of their comfort zones and associated with an undesirable-me.

16 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

This post is a keeper Cathy! Great points!

July 03, 2007 3:18 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

This is a keeper Cathy. It's pretty impossible to avoid patronizing gay people or anyone else who doesn't accept Catholicism. We are meant to be leaven in the world, to be amongst all people - what you did is the right attitude for lay evangelization - they asked, you replied nicely and with charity - no hellfire and damnation, no CCC banging - a mutual exchange of ideas, a seed planted and watered by your prayer. It wouldn't surprise me if they said something to each other like, "I wish all catholics were like her".

[Being gay - I'm sure they were taken with the formal wear that you wear to Mass. I'm sorry - I couldn't resist that. Did they say anything about toning down the makeup? Just curious.]

Seriously - what you write is so good - do you ever or have you ever read St. JoseMaria Escriva - loving the world? It's the right approach.

July 03, 2007 4:53 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Boy, that Chrism you got at the Easter Vigil sure has long lasting effects.

I wonder if I signed up to be confirmed again next Easter if it would work like that for me?

Although, I guess the project that I am engaged in now takes a bit of chrism to do properly. God is good!

Wonderful, Cathy.

July 03, 2007 5:10 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I posted about St. Escriva and linked to your post - his homily was titled, "Passionately Loving the World" - your post reminded me of it. Thanks again.

July 03, 2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Ray,

You could go to a Life in the Spirit seminar, and in the second to last session the participants are annointed with Chrism as they pray for the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

July 03, 2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: You are doing a fine job as you are. IMHO, you don't need more oil. Your car might-LOL!

Thanks, Angela!

Terry: You are not the first person to tell me I should read St. Escriva. I should check him out. One of my hosts DID tell me the blue looks good on me. They did not say a word about my makeup which must mean it was pretty awful, right?

Adoro: I'm not sure I've heard of that seminar.

July 03, 2007 8:09 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

"They did not say a word about my makeup which must mean it was pretty awful, right?"

No - they probably like the Diva look you've been going for lately. ROFLMAO!!!!

(What gets into me?)

July 03, 2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Cathy ~ It's a Charismatic thing, offered allover the place, either in a 6 week seminar or an all day one.


Basically the seminar helps us to come to know and understand the Holy Spirit.

When I took the seminar, I was very drawn to the Blessed Sacrament, and it was also this time during which I began to discern a call to religious life.

There are good and bad seminars...I was blessed to be involved in one taught by a very wonderful priest. Was involved in the Charismatic group for a while after that. It was several weeks after the seminar that I went to a meeting, and then by a personal invite from the priest, I went for a few months and moved on. It was a good experience overall, but I knew I was not called to Charismatic spirituality.

July 03, 2007 10:10 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Adoro! Terry, as to what gets into you I have some theories....

July 04, 2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Arkanabar T'verrick Ilarsadin said...

Excellent post, Cathy. Thank you for sharing this; it deserves wider dissemination.

July 04, 2007 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your judgement and arrogance is suffocating. I'm glad the gays got your money at least after suffering your smug condescension.

Next time, stay home, or at least leave your smarmy judgement there.

God loves all. You are no better or holier thant that "couple."

Get over yourself...really.

July 06, 2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

anonymous: God does love everyone. However, sin and sinners exist. I'm a sinner, I sin. We all do.

Is your problem the fact that I pointed out that these men were gay? They are open about it. Or, that I indicated I have a problem with their couplehood?

If you are looking for affirmation of the gay lifestyle you are on the wrong blog.

July 06, 2007 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An affirmation from you on anything other than your very narrow view of the church or the world would be useless. I simply couldnt bare your ego driven self satisfaction. I wonder how God views your arrogance. I'm would imagine she is concerned.

What I didnt expect from your sight...laughter.

As for for the men with who you stayed...I'm sure they are fully satisfied with your stay and payment. All in all a good day.

Pray for an open mind and heart. It will do wonder for your holier than thou ego.

July 08, 2007 12:41 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

anonymous: I have an open mind and a heart. It has led me back to Christ and the Church he founded. Having an open mind to what Christ and the Church REALLY taught as opposed to what I WISH it taught has BROADENED my worldview not narrowed it to my personal opinion.

We are not here on this Earth to please ourselves. We are here to know and love God and live in Him and share His Truth with others.

God is to be referred to as He, not she.

July 08, 2007 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is much bigger than just "He."

This will be my last post. I think it has been worth both of our time.

I guess your fervert adherence to the magesterium says much about your faith in it and God. It looks like you need one to get to the other. No judgement here on that.

As a coupled gay man, a devout Catholic and man of God, your judgement is simply wrong. Period. I dont think you are stupid or unenlightened. I think you are wrong and for some reason showed up on your site to say so. I wasnt looking for you or your site. Go figure.

I dont seek to change you, your mind or your heart. Thats God's work. I quite accidently stumbled on to you site had to challenge your presumed moral superiority.

Good Bye and God's Peace.

Regards,
One of any number of gay men and women members of the mystical body of Christ and your parish.

July 08, 2007 5:32 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

anonymous: As Catholics we need the Magisterium-without it along with Scripture and Tradition we are not fully Catholic.

I'm glad you stopped by.

May God bless you.

July 09, 2007 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page