June 06, 2007

Minnesota (N)ice?

Gentle Reader: I've been reflecting about my post from yesterday and my reader's comments. In particular, the comments of my friend, Mitchell, and one of my new readers, L.

I know that I am, on occasion, a Minnesota Nice person. What do I mean by "Minnesota Nice"? Civility: with a touch of frost. Friendliness: but not always friendship. Cranky: but not always angry. Denying or masking my true feelings because I don't want to be perceived as rude. Standing silent because it's not appropriate or "my place" to speak up.

Friends: When does Minnesota Nice become cruel?

Is it wrong to speak up and say something when you see someone in error? I say: no. However, there is an appropriate way to go about it. You don't talk about people behind their back. You don't smile while you are yelling at them. You don't applaud your cleverness for your witty critique while they scratch their heads trying to figure out if you are insulting them or not.

I feel that, on occasion, I am rude in my presentation on this blog. Often, the particular recipients of my rudeness are local reporters and dissident clergy and religious.

I'm feeling really bad about some of my recent snarkiness regarding Fr. Michael Tegeder. Make no mistake, Fr. Tegeder has not been, what I would call, appropriately airing his opinions regarding our new Archbishop. And, his comments should not go unanswered. But, as my Mom always said: "you need to be better than that"

If I've offended anyone with any of my personal insults on this blog, please accept my heartfelt apologies.

12 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Cathy,

I don't think that the commenter's statement about "Minnesota Nice" had anything to do with you or your presentation, although some clarification from that person would be helpful.

I actually took the comment about "Minnesota Nice" to be in reference to the hostility by allegedly "nice Minnesotans" shown to the Archbishop who hasn't even had the opportunity to become known yet.

June 06, 2007 1:20 PM  
Anonymous L said...

Yes, absolutely that's what I meant- only that folks in the archdiocese haven't been "Minnesota Nice" nor fair about their welcome of our new archbishop. Sorry if that phrase was taken any other way. Cathy, you have not offended me in any way with any of your comments. I am new to your blog and relatively new to the twin cities, and I do not have any prior knowledge of this Fr. Tegeder. When I read his first comments in the Pioneer Press, I have to say, I was appalled that any priest would speak this way of his/our new archbishop. For the record, I agree with what your assessment of his comments have been.
Thank you for speeaking up for our catholic faith and for putting yourself out there! I appreciate your honest blog and as I've said, am learning a lot from everyone else's thoughtful comments as well.
God bless,
L.

June 06, 2007 2:59 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I love a quote I read once from Cary Grant;

"Women mistake men's honesty for cruelty."

It doesn't have to read women or men, people just don't like it when someone is honest with them.

You are one of the least offensive bloggerss I've come across. You are simply honest.

(You could be nicer to me however. LOL!)

June 06, 2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

L: Oh, dear. I by no means meant that I thought you were accusing me of anything. Your comment was completely innocent. It's me who has accused my own self. I just picked up the phrase.

Terry: You'll get what you deserve! LOL!

June 06, 2007 6:19 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Oh, before I forget, Mitchell, I'm not upset with you either. Your comment and L's were conscience raising.

June 06, 2007 6:23 PM  
Anonymous nab said...

This is for Terry to find...he is a brash peanut gallery unto himself. :)

June 07, 2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

LOL! Thank you very much! :)

June 07, 2007 9:52 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

nab: Is there such a thing as a drive-by insult? Didn't take him long to find, did it? I wonder that it occurred to him that the insult would be "hidden" on MY blog.

LOL!

June 07, 2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

You are all in cahouts!

June 07, 2007 7:28 PM  
Anonymous nab said...

Maybe we should add, "paranoiac" to the list...

June 07, 2007 7:42 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

nab: I did-on Terry's blog post that started it all. See, how it's true?!

June 08, 2007 6:37 AM  
Blogger Our Word said...

Nah - none intended, none taken.

Mitchell

June 08, 2007 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page