June 04, 2007

"I'm O.K. with you being a Catholic, as long as you aren't actually Catholic"

Tell me if you have heard that one before? Or, if it was not said, was it SO obvious that it may as well have been said out loud?

Since my reversion, I hear this from a lot of people. Sure, we knew you were Catholic, but you didn't act like it. Now, what the heck has happened to you? You are no fun anymore. You spend way too much time praying. You won't party with us anymore because you have to go to Mass all the time. You contradict us constantly. You are always trying to tell us that our views of Vatican II are all wrong. Why can't you be a Catholic like Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy or Betty McCollum? You don't see them pushing their religion on us, do you? I can't pick up a newspaper these days and there you are speaking UP FOR instead of OUT AT the Church!

I had brunch with a couple of friends yesterday and that was the gist of some of our conversation. Then, the Coadjutor Archbishop, John Nienstedt's, name was brought up by one of my lunch companions, who is, what I would call, a moderate Catholic. (read: wishy-washy on some dogmas).

He said: Well, I"m o.k. with him (Archbishop Nienstedt) as long as he doesn't do anything...
Me: LOL! What do you mean, what's he supposed to do?
He: If he doesn't start interfering and tell us that we need to go to Confession in the box again.
Me: When do you think that teaching ended?
He: Vatican II changed so much
Me: Did it, really? Or, is it that you THINK and have been TOLD that it did?
He: Well, it did (lamely)
Me: Prove it. (this went over big-not)
He: What do you mean?
Me: Show me where in the documents of Vatican II..show me, in ANY documents of the Church, where the necessity of Confession was done away with and I will concede that you are right.
He: (mumbling) well, maybe it did not do away with Confession but we don't have to go in that box anymore!
Me: You have never had to have your Confessions heard in "the box". For instance in Poland, the priest will hear your Confession in his ear on the street. (both of us are Polish-Americans) I've known Priests in the Twin Cities who have done this too.
He: Well, I just hope the new guy doesn't make a lot of trouble. I hope he just leaves my parish alone. (for the record, said parish uses general absolution when it shouldn't)

I could go on an on because there was more but, hopefully, you get the drift of what the word on the street (or, in this case, the word at The Good Earth Restaurant) is regarding "the new guy".

There are a lot of folks that hope the new Ordinary, well, really any Ordinary, will be a BINO (Bishop in Name Only) or ABINO (Archbishop In Name Only). This should not be confused with PINO, Priest In Name Only, though there may be similarities. A ABINO or BINO is permitted by the less than orthodox to be a figurehead. All he should be allowed to do is: show up for ceremonial events in his gear, wave his hands in blessing, wish us all the best, tell us everything is just fine, God loves us just as we are, and not do anything controversial like try to help us avoid Eternal Damnation. After all, didn't Vatican II abolish Hell?

9 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

There are a lot of CINO's out there. And they feel threatened by ORCIMMN!'s out there (Orthodox Roman Catholic is my middle name!).

I have been volunteering at the local Veterans Hospital for the past few months. Frankly some of my most rewarding interactions with patients are with those who admit that they haven't been a good Catholic.

The honesty brings tears to my eyes.

Today a patient admitted that he hadn't been practicing his faith. It sounded like he had had almost no education in his faith. He was in for some major surgery and admitted that he had been near death.

That got him reminiscing a bit and he mentioned a time when he was in Vietnam and his Division was engaged in some kind of major movement and as the men moved by, a "Mexican Priest" stood on a high platform and "splashed water on us" and prayed the Hail Mary over them.

He claimed that he had always remembered the prayer and agreed to say it with me (but he didn't remember most of the words).

I later brought him a little prayer book with the words and asked him to pray "one Hail Mary a day."

Many of you might have heard Father Corapi tell how his mother send him a holy card with the Hail Mary on the back and asked him to do that when he was at his lowest in California. It worked.

June 04, 2007 4:51 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

BINO, ABINO, PINO, LOL!!!!!!

June 04, 2007 6:14 PM  
Anonymous nab said...

"The road to hell is paved with the skulls of erring priests, with the bishops as its signposts."

--John Chrysostom

Imagine someone calling you goldenmouth for a gem like that one.

June 04, 2007 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Joan said...

Reversion is fun.

"Well, I knew you were Catholic, but I didn't know that you, like, went to Mass and stuff!"

At that point I leave out the part about the confession and the chapel veil and the Latin Mass.

June 04, 2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: I've heard that story of Fr. Corapi's as well. Keep handing out those prayers cards at the VA and encouraging those simple prayers. They work.

Angela: You're back!!!! I've missed you. I want to hear all about your holiday.

June 04, 2007 7:42 PM  
Anonymous L said...

Good to hear stories where people actually defend/rejoice being catholic. For myself, it's way easier to just change the subject when discussing religion with most of my fellow catholic friends. Sometimes it's hard in one's own parish to feel supported if you consider yourself to be a "conservative", "traditional", "orthodox", even "Roman catholic".
Thanks for another thoughtful post.

June 04, 2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger japhy said...

Since I've been reading a plethora of Vatican documents (and other official Church documents) over the past few months, I've been thinking of writing a blog series on "Just What Did Vatican II Say?"

It was personally surprising to me how soon after the council had concluded that Pope Paul VI had to write against liturgical abuses. And then Pope John Paul II. And now Pope Benedict XVI.

The lack of adequate catechesis is the problem. That leads to ignorance in general about the faith. As James R. Cardinal Knox wrote in 1980, "In order to reach these ideals more easily it will be necessary to foster liturgical formation in seminaries and faculties and to facilitate the participation of priests in courses, meetings, assemblies or liturgical weeks, in which study and reflection should be properly complemented by model celebrations. In this way priests will be able to devote themselves to more effective pastoral action, to liturgical catechesis of the faithful, to organizing groups of lectors, to giving altar servers spiritual and practical training, to training animators of the assembly, to enriching progressively the repertoire of songs, in a word to all the initiatives favoring an ever deeper understanding of the Liturgy." (Inaestimable donum, 27)

June 05, 2007 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"giving altar servers spiritual and practical training..."

--I for one can tell you I never received spiritual training as an altar server-and I think I should have!

June 05, 2007 10:08 AM  
Blogger Winnipeg Catholic said...

Frankly I think the schismo Rad Traddies are a bit more frightening than the Cinos.

September 13, 2007 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page