June 12, 2007

(Dis)Spirit Daily

Terry has a link to an article in Spirit Daily by Mr. Michael Brown.

The article by Mr. Brown really set me off. So much so that I had to calm down and rewrite this post 7 times.

The section of the article on New Age rosaries was very good and Mr. Brown should have just stuck to that instead of veering into talking about our Archdiocese in a section that was riddled with inaccuracy. Some of the stuff he reports is true, but when I read so much error in a newstory I have a really hard time seeing past the carelessness of the fact-checking.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of Spirit Daily because I think they spend way too much time presenting unsubstantiated allegations and being angry over the same old tired crap. Get over it. Go pray, or make some rosaries for the troops.

For the record: Bishop Spong has NEVER, to the best of my 20 years experience in that parish, spoken at St. Joan of Arc (SJA). Is his work advocated there? Yes, but that's true of many other places too. The SJA website does have a report on a visit to the area by Bishop Spong. However, Spong spoke at Ted Mann Concert Hall at the U of MN NOT at St. Joans.

I'm not sure Dignity meets regularly at St. Stephens. I'm wondering where he gets that information. They regularly meet at Prospect Park United Methodist Church.

The Spirit of the Lakes thing was an immigration rally that Auxiliary Bishop Richard Pates was invited to. It so happens he had his photo taken with a minister of Spirit of the Lakes. Spirit of the Lakes is a GLBT church-no Catholic affiliation. It was an ecumenical immigration rally. That photo is becoming as much of something His Excellency would probably like to forget as that infamous photo of Frank Sinatra with the mobsters. Is it unfortunate that someone did not think before they went to that church? Perhaps. Is it possible that the Bishop did not know what kind of church it is because his staff did not tell him? Possible. Is it possible that, for purposes of the intent of this event, it did not matter what the venue was? More than possible.

If we are not "allowed" to bring His Truth to any place but a Catholic Church then what the heck were we doing Processing with the Lord thru Loring Park (the epicenter of gay culture in this town) on Corpus Christi? To me, one of the most powerful moments of the Procession was walking behind the Lord thru that very park. I prayed someone would have a conversion of heart, like I did.

I have yet to hear anyone reputable, WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE, PROVE that there was an actual Catholic Mass held at Spirit of the Lakes during this immigration thing. I have heard a lot of the local hysterics talking and I give as much credence to them as I do to the likelihood of my cats telling me the answer to Question #1 in the Baltimore Catechism.

A few weeks ago, I had a post on gossip . Now you know what motivated that post. Some people approached me and wanted me to post on the Bishop Pates "thing" and I refused for the reasons I just ranted about above.

Pray for Coadjutor Archbishop Nienstedt, please. He's walking into a big, fat, angry mess. Two extremist camps: the ones who don't want him to do anything-ever and the ones who want him to do everything-on the first day. Neither extremist camp will ever be satisfied.

9 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Thanks sweetie for posting on this - I had no idea what the hell Brown was talking about on his post and wondered what nut case sent him the info - I have some ideas. I was so pissed at his article I had all I could do to be civil in my post.

Gosh - you know what's goin' on don't you! I didn't even know what Spirit of the Lakes was until today, I'm sure Pates didn't either.

I'm also tired of the crap that the new Archbishop is going to somehow solve all the problems that have been around just about as long as I have, as if Harry Flynn didn't do anything.

Again - thanks for this post!

June 12, 2007 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Travis said...

I read the article and your post. Can you please clarify something for me:

For the record: Bishop Spong has NEVER, to the best of my 20 years experience in that parish, spoken at St. Joan of Arc (SJA). Is his work advocated there? Yes, but that's true of many other places too.

Bishop Spong is the Episcopalan Bishop, correct? If so, why would his work be advocated in a Catholic Parish? Did you mean the Catholic Bishop's work is advocated in the parish? I was just really confused by this statement, and not sure if you typed it really quick maybe.

Thanks & God Bless,

June 12, 2007 11:23 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Travis: I said what I meant to say and you read it correctly. Spong is an Episcopalian. However, he expounds on topics near to SJA's heart like women's ordination and gay "rights". His work is read by SJA staff and praised by them. I'm actually surprised they haven't hosted him there.

SJA advocates a lot of non-Catholic idealogy even though they are, technically, a Catholic parish.

I USED to be a member of SJA but I reverted and left that parish a few years back.

June 13, 2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Extremely well done, Cathy. Thank you.

My Guardian Angel must have been coaching me when, 14 months ago, when I was first starting out in this blogging avocation, I discovered you, Adoro, Terry, the Hadleys from Our Word as top notch people who could write well and with whom I wanted to be associated.

Other wonderful people have come along since then who also can write well on interesting and important subjects.

Other areas may have superstars, but I would rank as a group the people who blog here as competent as any employed at professional journals or newspapers at covering what serious Catholics need to know. And we do it in an entertaining and cooperative manner. We like each other!

You know that I am familiar with much of what has been going on in the dissident factions around here and your rebuttal here of Michael Brown's tabloid-style trashing of our archdiocese was excellently done.

June 13, 2007 6:50 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: That is among the best praise I've ever received. I'm honored to be considered your friend. I really needed that comment this morning. Thank you.

June 13, 2007 6:59 AM  
Anonymous Sally said...

And I thank you too Ray! I love all the people you mention as well. I'm honored you called me a friend.

Gosh! You love me! You really, really love me!

June 13, 2007 10:09 AM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Cathy, you're my friend, too. :-)

And Ray, you're my friend, too.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! GROUP HUG!!!!

:-P

Ok, back to business...this was very well said. I'm so sick of Archbishop Flynn being slammed and the situation around here being blown out of proportion, and I'm already sick of our Coadjutor being slammed when he hasn't done ANYTHING at all!

I didn't even know about the Spirit of the Lakes thing, but considering that's not hte name of a Catholic Church it's not really on my radar screen.

June 13, 2007 11:57 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: Thus, it is not farfetched that Spirit of the Lakes may be off Bishop Pates' radar screen too, right?

Sally: No photo?! Loved you in Smokey and the Bandit, by the way.

June 13, 2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger Tancred said...

+Pates has been bad news from the start. Kind of hard to miss the rainbow flag behind him or know the back ground of Spirit of the Lakes Church.

Frankly, that's the problem with doing these "ecumenical" things.

Of course, it would be easier to give Bishop Pates the benefit of the doubt if he weren't so intimately linked with the church wreckovation crowd.

See, I remember the way he treated Father Pingate and the people who put up the money for the St. Ambrose rennovation.

Like the ineffectual Archbishop Flynn, he treated them with utter contempt.

May 21, 2010 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page