May 01, 2007

Recommended Reading from This Rock

If you can obtain a copy of the May/June 2007 This Rock, I highly recommend the article "The Church Militant or the Church Belligerent?: How Fighting for the Faith Can Destroy Charity" by Fr. Paul Scalia. I don't think the issue will be free online for a while.

Fr. Scalia talks about how some of us get so consumed with gossip, liturgical abuse, and the latest church scandal, that we forget about our own holiness and our mission to lead others to Christ. We become so worried about winning for "our side" that we forget why we are here in the first place. "The hallmark of Christians is charity, not churlishness. The pagans were moved by the Christians: "See how they love one another" --not "See how they complain to one another."" Father is NOT saying that there is nothing to fight for. He's just advising us to be on our guard. "The danger is not of fighting--but of only fighting, and fighting in the wrong way"

Father mentions those of us for whom just following the norms is not enough. For instance, those who think Communion in the hand is wrong under any circumstances and don't think it should be allowed, taking the step of deciding on their own that it will not occur in their U.S. parish--despite the fact that the practice is allowed in the U.S.

"The risk is to cease becoming the Church Militant and to become instead the "Church Belligerent""

There's much more!

10 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

I needed this! Thank you!!!!

May 01, 2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger Ma Beck said...

Cathy,
That sounds like an excellent article. I'll keep an eye out for it, thank you.
I am certain I would agree with most parts.
Communion at my parish is generally received kneeling at the altar rail, and on the tongue, but it certainly would not be refused to one who chose to stand.
However, there aremany parishes in the US that refuse Communion kneeling, or even Communion on the tongue. (Orange County, for example.)
THAT is illegal.
Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

May 01, 2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger Ma Beck said...

Cathy,
Wow - I just read Fr. Scalia's review of 'The Spirit of the Liturgy' from an old Adoremus Bulletin online.
The review was great - so clear and direct.
http://tinyurl.com/2ozxdj
Can't wait to read the article you're talking about.

May 01, 2007 7:21 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ma: Thanks for the additional reading!

May 01, 2007 7:37 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: Great!

Ma, I forgot to mention: you are correct that denying someone communion on the tongue or kneeling when they want to is wrong as well.

May 01, 2007 7:38 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Are you talking about me? Are you talking about me?

See how they complain!

I've been trying to do better. I even reported the other day to Cathy that I was pleased with the new assistant at my parish (where I'm normally not seen much, having become a "church shopper.")

May 02, 2007 7:49 AM  
Blogger Winnipeg Catholic said...

Amen sister. Fr. Scalia is right on the mark. All the Best, -B

May 02, 2007 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful article! I've been moved to quit obsessing so much about who does what from reading this article.

May 02, 2007 1:38 PM  
Blogger Carolina Cannonball said...

If I stopped complaining my head might explode... I need an outlet for the gassy build up.

Seriously though, I use my humor to tolerate the abuses. But what does that say about me when I have 'tolerate' a mass.

I'm on the fence about this. I think the complaining is good and can serve a good purpose to bring about change.

May 02, 2007 3:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

CC: I don't think Fr. Scalia is saying that you can't complain but that it should not consume you.

He does not address the issue of gassy build-up. You are on your own with that one! ;-)

May 02, 2007 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page