May 14, 2007

Pray for Rain and Safety

The walleye fishing opener in Minnesota may have enjoyed prime weather for fishing. However, it was not optimal weather for firefighting. It was windy, and it's been dry and hot. The fire danger in northern Minnesota is currently rated: extreme. The Ham Lake fire in the BWCAW and Ontario border continues to burn. Even where I was, nearly 100 miles to the southwest, it was smoky and hazy from this fire. There is rain close to that area on the radar now. However, in the Cities it is really windy. If it's this windy in the fire area, it's going to continue to be a tough fight.

I read, today, that over 600 firefighters from 35 states are fighting that fire.

Please join me in praying for rain and praying for the safety of our firefighters and first responders in that area.

Though many homes, buildings and trees have been lost, thankfully, no one has been killed.

There are also dangerous fires in California and on the Florida/Georgia border. I pray for those people and first reponders as well.

If you are a northern Minnesota camper this summer, be really cautious and keep a close eye on your campfires. Make sure it's all the way out before you leave. Don't leave the fire unattended. It wouldn't surprise me, if we don't get some rain, if some northern Minnesota parks and campgrounds start restricting campfires.

7 Comments:

Blogger Richie D said...

does you kknowledge of boats and boating translate to sailing? I've been reading about the America's Cup and it seems they have their own jargon. what does "no wake" mean?

May 14, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

I'm no sailor, but I've done my share of boating on the lakes of Minnesota. No wake means you must move slow enough by powerboat to not leave a wake behind you. Usually near shore or in and near channels between lakes are no wake zones to prevent the waves. Also anywhere near an open swim area. Some whole lakes are no wake/no power motor allowed, but this is usually within cities.

BTW - Cathy, I've tagged you for a meme. Just what you wanted in coming back from vacation!

May 14, 2007 1:49 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Richie: Sanctus Belle is correct. You see "no wake" signs around here. Usually, as she said, by a swimming area but sometimes by a wildlife refuge/area. There are a number of the signs on the rivers in town.

Sanctus Belle: I'll get to the meme when I wake up. My mind is still dreaming at the lake! :-)

May 14, 2007 4:06 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

All I want to know is "how many", "what kinds", and "how big", always, of course, keeping in mind the Eighth Commandment.

And I assume you have "confessed" already your omission of the location of the hot spots on your secret lake.

May 14, 2007 4:47 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Cathy, I think you should keep your "hot spot" to yourself.

When my Dad and I used to go fishing, I always found the hot spots, and would pull out fish after fish. So Dad would pull up his line and come to my spot....and the fish would stop biting. So I'd move down the shoreline to the next spot, etc etc.

So, Ray, one person's "hot spot" is another's demise. Take note. Go find your own spot. :-)

May 14, 2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: I agree. Ray, can go fish! Ha-ha-ha!

May 14, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

"Go Fish"

Love it!

May 14, 2007 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page