May 18, 2007

The Old Family Manse Sold.

My Dad, finally, sold the home I grew up in this week. The housing market here is really tough for sellers. My Dad bought a house in northern Minnesota last Summer and has pretty much lived there since.

My childhood home has been totally vacant of furniture for sometime. Strangers have tromped thru it, examined it, admired it, criticized it. Finally, a young couple with 2 young children bought it. My parents were a young couple with 2 young children in 1971 when they bought the house from an elderly couple. The neighborhood has seen a lot of people come and go. My family was one of the oldest ones still left.

No more.

I could not afford to buy the home even if I wanted to and, surprisingly, I really did not want to. I like my bungalow in St. Paul. Also, my Dad's neighborhood is fly-over for the Airport and there is no decent Catholic parish for at least 8 miles in any direction.

I pray that the new family will live a full life in that house as mine did. Joy, sorrow, the whole package.

As I walked around thru the home when I checked on it during my Dad's absence. I felt no sense of loss. A house cannot be a home if the people you love are not there.

St. Joseph, pray for us.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

"A house cannot be a home if the people you love are not there."

Very true. My dad died when I was 16, and a few years later my mom downsized. At first it was a big deal, but then I realized that it didn't matter because my dad was no longer there.

May 18, 2007 11:11 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

When we sold my Mom's house in Duluth, I didn't feel any sense of regret. But I did walk through and take a few pictures of the empty rooms. It actually was in pretty decent shape. After the five children were evicted, they took very good care of it and with the help of one of my brothers, brought it up to date.

I do drive by it every now and then. Fortunately, it has been well maintained since then.

May 18, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Evicted? That's harsh. LOL! My parents gave me a set of luggage for my high school graduation. Sadly, it took a few years for me to take the hint.

May 18, 2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I sold my childhood home about six years ago after my father died. Before I could get the house ready to sell, bad storms came through the northern suburbs and did $15K of damage to the roof and siding on the house and garage. Since work wasn't completed until late that year, I decided to wait until spring to sell. Unfortunately, a pipe broke in the basement during the coldest part of the winter (while we were on a two-week vacation) and filled the basement chest-deep in water. During the day, when the temps rose, water vapor filtered through the entire house. Then, when the temps dropped at night, the water froze to every surface, including the walls, ceilings and floors. I literally walked into an igloo. Another $65K in damage, fortunately covered by insurance. Worse than the damage done to the house was the terrible feeling that I had let my parents down. I know it was just a house, but my entire life, up to when I got married, had been lived there!

May 21, 2007 7:22 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Good grief, swissmiss! I'm glad no one was killed or hurt.

May 21, 2007 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page