May 11, 2007

Cathy's Boat Launch and Fishing Tips/Etiquette

I'm offline until Monday, May 14th (because of that, comment moderation is enabled). I'll be Up North (that's Northern Minnesota to you non-natives) seeking the elusive walleye across the beautiful sky-blue waters. I just had a vision of the Hamm's Bear (from the land of sky blue waters...) ok, ok, I won't sing. Yes, I will have some beer but not in the boat! I never drink while operating a boat. One of the few instances where I will turn down a brew. Be safe and alive not stupid and dead. WEAR the life vest don't just stash in it the boat bin and forget about it. It's been a long winter and I know some of us are still carrying that winter fat (me). Make sure the life vest still fits before you start taking on water.

Also, make sure the plug is in the boat. Imagine the horror of pulling away from the boat landing in 20 feet of water, the plug isn't in and your life vest doesn't fit, the water is about 5 degrees if you're lucky. Don't worry, at that point, there will probably be a lot of guys standing around the boat launch to help you tow the boat off the bottom after they get done laughing their a---- off. I could be speaking from personal experience here: Grandma, did you put the plug in the boat??!!!!

Put all your **** in the boat before you start backing up towards the boat ramp. I don't need to sit there and watch you pull all your tackle out of the truck, organize your rods, your lunch and whatever, while I'm waiting in a LONG line before dawn to launch.

Drain all your livewells, dump your buckets, and clear off your boat, trailer and vehicle of any vegetation before you leave the lake and go to another. Millfoil is a serious problem here and it spreads by people carrying it from lake to lake.

Make sure you have a fishing license and your boat tabs are current. Lots of law enforcement out on the water on opener. Check those regs for the limits on your lake.

Dress for the weather. Layers are a good idea. I'm sure if you fish you know this by now but it always amazes me the numbers of people on the water that are not dressed for the weather conditions. Opener in this state is usually cold. I remember wearing my snowmobile suit on more then one opener as I watched the sleet come down. I, also, remember openers with shorts and t-shirts.

Remember, fishing is supposed to be fun! The sport is in decline and it will not increase thanks to your crabby face and your profane mouth complaining that you did not catch enough fish or not enough of the fish you wanted.

This has been a public service announcement of Cathy of Alex.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

How 'bout our newly annointed "Chrism Cathy of Alex", not only our spiritual leader, but also an expert on boat safety, outfitting, hunting, fishing (although she neglected to tell us where her favorite "hot spots" are located), NASCAR aficionado, bike racer, research librarian and who knows what else?

I tip my hat to her!

May 11, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Did I forget to mention the Twins?

May 11, 2007 12:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: The absence of "hot spot" advice is not an accident!

May 11, 2007 12:43 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Since God created the "waters teeming with living creatures" and commanded them to "be fruitful, multiply, and fill the waters" and created mankind to be "masters of the fish, birds, cattle, and wild beasts", would not refusing to share the "hot spot" locations of those fish, birds, cattle and wild beasts" during lawful fishing and hunting seasons be deemed to be an Eighth Deadly Sin for not "Loving One's Neighbor" and sharing the bountifui harvest?

Or might it fall under the "Greed" category, Chrism Cathy of Alex?

May 12, 2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

This post had me ROFLMAO!!!!

May 13, 2007 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page