April 22, 2007

Saints Meme

Mr. Terry of Abbey-Roads2 tagged me for a Saints Meme. I know Terry is worried that I'm not reading his blog or, say it ain't so, ignoring him. Not at all. I take this meme so seriously that I had to really think about it first. Plus, I ignored the Saints for over 35 years so I'm pretty ignorant about them.

I am using the form of the meme as handed down by the Roving Medievalist, not the distorted versions that some blogs have: those creative types who shall not be named here--you know who you are!

List your four favorite saints, your one favorite blessed, and one person you think should have been a saint.

Here we go..

1) St. Catherine of Alexandria (I hope you were all sitting down for that one!). Virgin and martyr of the 4th century A.D. Learned woman, defender of the Faith. Responsible for many conversions. Was to be tortured on a spiked wheel but it broke. She was beheaded by a sword instead. I took her name as my Confirmation name.

2) St. John the Evangelist. I can pick up any of John's Gospel and I just gasp at the beauty of his words and his profundity. Even a bad translation of Scripture can't entirely obliterate him. The beloved disciple. The caretaker of the Blessed Mother. St. John told us to love one another-prescient words for the violent week we have just had in the U.S.

3) St. Joseph. The foster-father of the Lord. I have experienced many graces and had many prayers answered by praying to St. Joseph.

4) St. Jude. The patron saint of hopeless causes. I always say, seemingly, hopeless causes. St. Jude is a powerful intercessor, he's also helped me to accept God's will not mine when my request is not in His plan.

5) St. Louis Marie de Montfort. His Secrets of the Holy Rosary persuaded me of the necessity of praying the Rosary every day. Now, if I would only follow his advice.

Favorite Blessed: Kateri Takakwitha, the Lily of the Mohawks. A powerful witness to Native peoples. She followed her heart to the Lord, risking abuse and exile to do so.

One person who should have been a saint:

Pope Pius XII, perhaps he will be a Saint one day if the Church will ever do as it pleases rather than be afraid of canonizing him thanks to the misrepresentation of his response to the Holocaust. I've been reading a few of his encyclicals lately Divino Afflante Spiritu (talk about someone concerned for accurate translations! How relevent is that today in all this arguing about ICEL translations?) and Humani Generis (another timely writing!). He wrote many encyclicals calling for peace in his time as well as his outstanding encyclicals about Mary and his establishment of the Assumption as infallible dogma.

I tag whoever feels like doing this! It might be interesting to read some priestly blogger responses to the meme!

7 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Aren't I pushy?

April 22, 2007 3:11 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Awww....are you calling me "creative"? I was only following Terry because I liked what he did....

:-)


Obedience is a virtue I'm working on, but not very consistently, and only when I benefit from it in some way...

April 22, 2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Terry: It's part of your charm-just ask anyone at your former employer. LOL! Ok, I can't help myself. Forgive me.

Adoro: Well, I deliberately refrained from names, but as you were so kind to "out" yourself...
;-)

April 22, 2007 7:03 PM  
Anonymous georgette said...

Hey, Cathy! I love your responses-- I just love all the Saints you have named, and I totally agree with you about the holy Pius XII!

~Georgette

April 23, 2007 4:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Georgette: Thanks. I miss you!

April 23, 2007 4:58 AM  
Blogger Histor the Wise said...

I'll go for it.

Histor

April 23, 2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

Great list of saints. I do love St Joseph and Jude, they are two of my husband's patron saints. He has received many great graces from St. Jude.

April 23, 2007 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page