April 14, 2007

Ordination Remembrance Card

The St. Andrew Daily Missal that Ray gave me as a Confirmation gift has some really beautiful prayer cards in it.

One of the cards is in honor of a priestly ordination. The priest's name is on the card: Fr. Vincent Colon, ordained June 3, 1950. Does anyone know (or knew) Fr. Colon or if he's still alive? I was able to find out that he was at St. Timothy in Maple Lake in 1966 and his First Solemn Mass was at St. Adalbert in St. Paul but that's all.

I would do more research and make some calls if I had more time. For now, I'm taking the lazy route and asking via the blog first. If Fr. Colon is still alive, I think he should have his card back if he wants it.

Anyway, the sentiment on the card is something you definitely don't see much of these days-unfortunately:

The Priest

He is another Christ--respect him;
He is God's representative--trust him;
He is your benefactor--be thankful to him.

At the Altar

He offers your prayers to God--do not forget him;
He prays for you and yours in Purgatory--ask God's mercy for him.

In the Confessional

He is the physician of your soul--show him its wounds;
He directs you towards God--follow his admonitions;
He is judging--abide by his decisions.

In His Daily Life

He is human--do not hastily condemn him;
He is human--a word of kindness will cheer him;
If you must tell his faults--tell them to God, that He may give him light and strength to correct them;
He has a great responsibility--ask God to guide him in life, and to be merciful to him in death.

All merciful God, grant to my parents, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends Your choicest blessings and the reward of Heaven on the Day of Judgement; for their prayers, guidance and sacrifices have helped me to Your Holy Altar


I can't get this card out of my mind. It extols a respect and admiration for our priests that is sadly lacking today. In my CINO days, I used to hear a lot of dissident Catholics "poo-poo" the priesthood and look back in anger on the "old days" when they were "forced" to think priests were like gods because that's what they were told and that's what they thought the priests expected. Frankly, there is a lot of distortion of reality going on in the CINO crowd. They are really angry about something else but the clergy and the Church are easy scapegoats.

I don't think the card is saying priests are without fault. Remember, this card is from the "old days". I think the card does a good job of walking the line between respect for their superordinary state and their humanity.

This remembrance card reiterated to me, yet again, that some "Catholics" are so angry about "something" (because, honestly, who knows what has ticked them off-seems like just about everything!) that they can't let it go and in their inability to move on they distort perhaps some mistakes a priest made by projecting it to all priests.

That last paragraph where the priest is asking for blessings upon those who helped bring him to ordination is very moving. How many of us actively pray for ordination? How many families make sacrifices so their sons can go to seminary? I think the tide is turning but slowly.

Some of the sentiment on this card may be perceived as "controversial" in this day and age. Trust in the collective priesthood has been shaken in the last 7 years because some, individual, priests were predators. However, if we can't at least try to regain trust, work on trust, or start from trust in our relationships with Our Shepherds, we are doomed as a Church. On March 29, 2016 I posted an update to the post above. here

13 Comments:

Anonymous tj said...

Interesting that the Serra Minneapolis site lists Fr Vincent Colon's ordination as June 3, 1954 rather than 1950. If you have his holy card, your date must be the correct one.

April 14, 2007 12:48 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

GREAT post! And I LOVE the card...can you can and post an image of it?

I'm very blessed, I think, as in our parish our priests are very much loved and trusted, very much like family to all of us, I think.

But there is a crowd that chooses to be suspicious, and you're right...they're angry about something, but it's not really the priests or the Church.

So sad.

April 14, 2007 12:49 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

When I purchased that missal for you, there were missals in better condition, but they didn't have the cards. I toyed with the idea of putting them in a better missal, but "for a Confirmation gift? No way!

I toyed with the idea of keeping the cards for myself. They are lovely.

I'm glad they found a home with you because I suspected, correctly it appears, that you would spend much time tracking down the people mentioned.

How 'bout all those Holy Cards from the various nuns?

April 14, 2007 2:17 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

tj: That is interesting.

Adoro: No, I can't scan it. It's really just a plain white with a raised portion on the front page. It's actually folded-it's not all one sheet. Plus, the light from the scan may hasten its disintegration. It's in good shape but I'm sure that's because it was in the book and out of the light.

Ray: Yes, the other cards are beautiful too! Great gift-I love it!

April 14, 2007 4:01 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Cathy....what about a good quality photo of it? (Without flash, that is).

You could scan the photo(s).

I've had to do that with documents at work.

April 14, 2007 5:33 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Whilst musing about your problem in finding one Father Vincent Colon, I just happened to look down at the book lying open on my work mess/desk and what should it be but the 2006 Edition of the Official Minnesota Catholic Directory.

My "employer" happened to have an extra copy so I appropriated it. Serendipity.

Under the "C" section, it just happens to have an address for Father Colon, currently in Maplewood, would you believe.

And he has an email address, would you believe. And a phone.

I'll email them to you.

April 14, 2007 11:14 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: I'm not going to all the effort. I'd have to shoot a whole roll of film and have it developed since my digital camera is kaput.

Ray: You ARE a ROCK STAR!

April 15, 2007 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine,

I do believe that you have seen Fr. Colon very recently. There were two priests who concelebrated the Easter Vigil Mass at Holy Trinity. The one to the left of Fr. Conlin was Fr. Tom McDonaugh, and the one to the right of Deacon Floeder, was Fr. Vincent Colon. God bless.

Fr. Pedersen

April 17, 2007 11:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father Pedersen: That is just incredible! Ray gives me a gift that very evening with Fr. Colon's ordination card in it and it turns out he was there! I'm glad I'm sitting down. This is almost a Twilight Zone moment.

Father, I appreciate that even though you read my blog, you still went through with my Confirmation. LOL!

God bless you and thank you.

April 17, 2007 11:58 AM  
Blogger Russ Gamache said...

Fr. Vincent Colon is my uncle, my mothers brother.

He just passed away yesterday, 28 Feb 2016

Services haven't been set yet.


He was an avid photographer and got me into it years ago in a roundabout way. I received a collection of Kodachrome slides from him, taken all over the country and the world.

Thanks for your posts.

February 29, 2016 8:30 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Mangold said...

Father Vince Colon just passed away yesterday afternoon at The Commons on Marice Assisted Living in Eagan. I am currently serving as the chaplain at this facility. Thank you for posting this years ago...when I have my quarterly memorial service at The Commons in April, I will read this as a tribute to this gracious man of God. Blessed be his memory.

~Chaplain Beth Mangold

February 29, 2016 9:32 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Beth and Russ: I'm so very sorry to hear about Father's passing. I am going to do a quick post about him - a new post and link to this one. I thought I had previously shared the "new" information on my blog but I couldn't find it.

March 29, 2016 12:34 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

My updated post on Fr. Colon is here: http://therecoveringdissidentcatholic.blogspot.com/2016/03/father-vincent-colon-rest-in-peace.html

March 29, 2016 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page