April 08, 2007

I'm So Exultant

It's 1:00 a.m. Easter Sunday morning (Alleluia, He is Risen!) I'm so exultant right now that I can't sleep so I may as well blog.

I'm overcome.

I've been a "Catholic" for 38 years and I never felt more real than I do right now. For decades the Faith meant nothing to me. I couldn't explain it, didn't know it, didn't care. If you've read my blog for a while, you know some of my reversion story: My nearly two decades of darkness at a certain parish in south Minneapolis, my scandalous behavior, erroneous beliefs, etc. etc.

It is YOU, my online Catholic brothers and sisters who helped make a difference in my life. It is YOU, Rosary Army, who helped make a difference in my life. It is ALL OF YOU, who prayed for me even when I was part of the faceless collective of the mistaken CINO's (Catholic In Name Only)

The service was beautiful. I was Confirmed at Holy Trinity in South St. Paul, Minnesota. Fr. Conlin presiding, assisted by many others, including Fr. Bryan Pedersen.

Holy Trinity is not my regular parish but I took Catholicism instruction there from Fr. Altier. My priest at St. Andrew in St. Paul was fine with me being Confirmed there. I wanted to be with my classmates. 22 weeks of instruction. This is actually the second time I took Fr. Altier's class but I was not ready to make the commitment last year.

I think it is hilarious that me, former big-time dissenter, is the only one old-school enough, in a class of 10, to have picked a Confirmation name! Yes, you guessed it, Gentle Reader: Catherine for Catherine of Alexandria.

My Dad was there. He drove down from northern Minnesota. My sponsor, Bob, is a long time family friend and a key part of my reversion. Bob is "Gravy Guy" from an earlier blog post. I keep praying that he will answer the call to become a Deacon. He'd be really good at it.

Oh, and a certain blogger named Ray from MN was there-sort of! Ray really felt the call to go to St. Augustine down the street for some reason. The Tridentine Mass there didn't even start until 11:00 p.m. I know Ray likes to pray before Mass but that's extreme, even for Ray! He showed up at Holy Trinity in time to have his photo taken and give me an old Missalette, that belonged to a Catherine, as a gift. When that Motu Proprio is released, I'm ready! (Ray, I KNOW I told you it was at Holy Trinity)

I'll have photos up in a day or so. My Dad was so excited (or confused by the East Metro like he always is) that he forgot to take photos during the ceremony itself. Oh well, God knows I was there and that's all that matters.

God Bless and Thank You for your prayers!

Janice Lynn Catherine LaDuke

Hmmmm...what can I do now? I'm so hyper! I think I'll go read some more of that Autobiography of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.

Update 4/9/07: Photos are here

19 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Hey! You'd better give some recognition to my Guardian Angel, who was there in my place!

We will all have to get together to celebrate your entrance into the Church. :-)

April 08, 2007 1:34 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: I'm waiting for the film! I'm sure the evidence will show that he was there. :-)

Yes, we do need to have a bash. I may have to bite the bullet and have something at my humble abode. My living room is in "transition" so I hardly have any seating but I figure you can all "offer it up".

Happy Easter, my dear, friend.

April 08, 2007 8:23 AM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Happy Easter!

April 08, 2007 8:30 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Yay Cathy!

I didn't know you were instructed by Fr. Altier! I attended his classes twice back in 2002-03, being received into full communion with the Church on December 19, 2002 at St. Agnes. I appreciated his straightforward presentation of what the Church teaches.

April 08, 2007 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Catherine - I too am a revert and appreciate your excitement at coming home in more than name only.

Catholic lady

April 08, 2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger Ma Beck said...

I'm excited reading how excited you are!
It warms my heart.
Congratulations!

April 08, 2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks all! Dan: Me too.

April 08, 2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Well, as has been reported, for one reason or another, I did show up at the wrong church in South St Paul, both pastored by Father J.P. Echert. Who would have thought that he would have scheduled a Vigil Mass at Holy Trinity in competition with himself at St Augustine's on Holy Saturday? Fortunately, when I explained my plight to him when in his "receiving line" after his Vigil Mass, he knew the Holy Trinity schedule and expedited me in the proper direction in plenty of time for the social hour after the Confirmation festivities at Holy Trinity.

For the trads among you, while I didn't witness the actual Confirmation, I can confirm (sic) that there was a glow on her forehead in the shape of a cross probably created by the chrism oil and definitely a glow emanating from her afterwords that no doubt is due to the Infusion of the Holy Spirit.

So pay more attention to her posts in these upcoming weeks. They no doubt will be viewed by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for possible inclusion in the next papal encyclical.

April 08, 2007 1:34 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Congratulations and welcome home Catherine! There's no place like home, there's no place like home...

April 08, 2007 3:32 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

LOL, Ray, you have such a penchant for hyperbole! :-)

I'm glad you made it. Catherine is going to get her film developed and see if my Guardian Angel showed up in one of them.

:-)

April 08, 2007 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Fr. John Zuhlsdorf o{]:¬) said...

o{]:¬)

April 08, 2007 6:34 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: Either that, or Ray is giddy from mastering the streets of South St. Paul.

I'd be a fine example of what is wrong in some of our Catholic colleges, parishes and CCD programs. If the Holy Father were so inclined to use me I'm at his service.

April 08, 2007 6:36 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks for the smile, Father Z.

April 08, 2007 6:42 PM  
Blogger onionboy said...

Welcome Home.
My eldest daughter and I often say, we are so blessed to be Catholic. One looks at our Protestant years with thanks to the Lord for His grace during that time and thank Him for guiding us Home. We share your exultant joy.

O
luminousmiseries

April 09, 2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger Kasia said...

Congratulations, Cathy! Happy Easter!!! :-)

April 09, 2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

Cathy,

I also was a CINO and was confirmed as an adult a few years ago. I also was the only one who took a saint's name - in fact I took this so seriously that I had it legally added to my name. Congratulations on receiving this great sacrament!

THE thing that caused me to enter into preparation for the sacrament was hearing a priest on EWTN say "The sacrament of confirmation leaves upon the soul and indelible mark, which will go with that soul into heaven, or into hell." I pray I don't go to hell, but hope instead to be in heaven with my indelible mark!! What mercy the Lord has on us to bestow on us such generosity and beauty in the sacraments of the Catholic Church!!

April 09, 2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger The Ironic Catholic said...

Congrats, Cathy! Blessing this Easter season!

April 09, 2007 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Scott W Fischer said...

Congratulations Cathy. Actually this is my second time getting to do so, as I was one of the lectors, and offered you my congratulations as I was going to find the rest of my family. Having been confirmed only a few years ago on nearly the exact same spot where you stood was powerfully moving for me.

I'll confirm Ray's observations of the glow of chrism, the Holy Spirit, and pure joy.

May God bless you!!

April 09, 2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks all! Scott: Thanks for reading during the Mass and my blog!

Sanctus Belle: I'm thinking seriously of having Catherine added to my legal name.

April 09, 2007 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page