April 06, 2007

Carry the Cross of Abortion

I just got home from my prayer vigil at Planned Parenthood in St. Paul's Highland Park neighborhood. I was there for about 1 1/2 hours. It's really cold and windy today. I was lamenting the fact that I did not wear long johns as I approached the area. However, I forgot all about being cold when I saw how many were on the side of life. The pro-life side FAR outnumbered the pro-death side.

These vigils are tough. Every honk in support of the other side is like another thorn digging into Christ's head. Every cheer from the other side is like the crowds cheering at The Passion and Death of Our Lord.

An evangelical pastor reminded us that many of us may have once been on the other side. True. I used to be. Not all of the sheep have been found yet.

There were women there carrying the "I regret my abortion" signs. God bless them for their courage.

There was a visible Catholic presence. Rosaries, Signs of the Cross, Catholic bumper stickers. Praise God.

It's time like these that I feel that Christian unity is possible. So many of different faiths can bond over this and come together. With God, nothing is impossible.

Pray for an end to abortion.

Update: 2:15 p.m. It's amazing the things you remember. I just recalled that, 13 years ago, I applied for a job at that same Planned Parenthood building I was praying in front of this morning. I knew full well what went on in there but I was mired in dissent. I had completely blanked it out. Off I go to Confession....

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

Amen!

April 06, 2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Sorry I missed you, slug-a-bed!

I was there when it was REALLY cold, bright and early when Father Duffner and Bishop Pates the Generals.

Glad to hear that Catholics have more "staying power." The sides were probably about even at the start, but when I left about 10, the Pro-Life side was ahead.

I know that Planned Parenthood had been recruiting for demonstrators for some time on web pages. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that they had to pay some of them. Very few men on the PP team. Most of their people were young women. Raucus cheering at horn honking was their only sound effects. Probably college students who had the day off. Sad.

Nice mixture of all types and sizes on the Pro-Life Team. The Franciscan Brothers of Peace were also there to lead the hymns. Priests (and ministers) lead the prayers and scripture readings. No Rosaries because it is an ecumenical event.

Up until three years ago, PP didn't counter demonstrate. Then two years ago, they applied for a demonstration permit on January 2, forcing the Pro Life March to the south side of Ford Parkway.

Last year, they split the north side in half with the Pro Life side being on the higher, eastern side; PP on the western, lower side.

This year they did it the same, and actually gave us one lane of Ford Parkway so more people could march and not be so cramped.

Sound system was awful, like in years past.

This was my fourth or fifth Good Friday appearance there.

There will be a demonstration on April 18 (10:00-12 noon)at the St Paul Radisson (now called the "Crowne Plaza Riverfront") on Kellogg Blvd where Health Partners will be having their Annual Meeting. They own Regions (what a crummy name) Hospital in St Paul that performs abortions. Most of Health Partners HMO insurees certainly are not aware that their monthly premiums go to support abortions.

April 06, 2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Thanks for the recap! I was a slug-a-bed, what can I say?

Oh well, at least WE were there!

Thanks for the headsup about the HealthPartners thing. That's right in the middle of the work week for me so I won't be there, physically. I"ll be there in spirit.

April 06, 2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger Rosemary Bogdan said...

Inspiring post!

April 06, 2007 8:38 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

God bless you both for going out there. I was with you in spirit, and would have perferred that to sitting at my desk at work.

April 06, 2007 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page