March 28, 2007

Who Do You Say that I Am?

Well, not me. I can't even figure that one out. Which is the point of this post. Well, sort of.

Most of us spend a lot of time, and sometimes a lot of money, trying to figure out who we are. "That's so 70's!"

But, it's not. Throughout history people tried to figure out who they are. What makes them. What they will do, what they can't do etc.

I am, deliberately, making this post simplistic.

Why?

Believers try to wrap their minds around the impenetrable Mystery of who Jesus the Christ was. Sometimes in doing so they reduce Him to no more than a human in need of therapy and a hug.

"Jesus was CONFLICTED"
"He didn't know who He was"
"He was a sufferin' brutha"
"He went into the Garden to find Himself"
"He had problems with his Mother"
"He probably wished he could dump those dumba-- Apostles and travel by Himself"
"He WAS born in a barn"
"He suffered from insomnia"
"His feet must have been KILLING Him"
"He clearly had issues-no sex for 33 years? What's up with THAT?!"
"He must said at some point: "Any more stupid questions?" but the text is lost to us"

5 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Hey! Jesus is my homie!

March 28, 2007 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough--the time he talked about swords, and the Apostles said here is a swors, and he said "That is enough"...

Well, a scholar of Biblican languages, fluant in Aramaic, told me that "that is enought" was an idiom that could well be translated as "skip it"

So yeah, I think he did say anymore stupid questions!

IR

March 29, 2007 8:52 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

IR: LOL!

Adoro: True dat.

March 29, 2007 9:55 AM  
Anonymous tvs said...

Cathy,

When my brother was a surly adolescent, my mother said to him (in the traditional way), "Close the door, were you born in a barn?" As my brother stormed up the stairs, slamming the door of course, he said, "JESUS was born in a barn! I guess HE wouldn't be good enough for you EITHER."

March 29, 2007 7:31 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

I do admit to wondering sometimes if he thought the apostles smelled bad from fish and sweat.

I do admit to wondering if he got frustrated with them occasionally because there were certainly times that they were pretty slow on the uptake.

March 29, 2007 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page