March 20, 2007

Lenten Check-up Part 2:

Here we are almost 4 weeks into Lent. How's it going? Are you sticking to your intentions? Are you feeling closer to Him? Do you have any sense of His sacrifice?

Lent has been a mixed-bag, as it usually is. Since my last check-up I'm still not praying my Rosary everday. I struggle with this year-round. I KNOW I should be praying the Little Office daily, but I just don't make the time. I've read books about how important the Rosary is; including St. Louis de Montfort, I've listened to Rosary tapes in the car, I've tried to do it during my commute without a tape-nothing's working. I'm very easily distracted in the car and I fight with, er, uncharitable feelings toward my fellow pilgrims on the road of life. I don't think I do Our Lady any favors with "Hail Mary, full of grace...Hey, dumb_____watch it"

I've been to Confession 4 times already. A new, personal, Lenten record. I know I'll be receiving the Sacrament at least once more before Easter. During Lent and Advent, I don't delay receiving Absolution. I seek out an available Priest within 24 hours of my latest serious offense. The rest of the liturgical year, I may delay receiving Absolution for several days. I've been told by more then one priest, that it is not wise to wait because you don't know when your hour is coming. I know that and I believe that, but I have yet to put it into practice year-round.

I'm feeling really overscheduled this Lent. Some of that is because of my Confirmation process. Much of it has to do with my lengthy work commute each day. I spend about 1/4 of the day in the car. I'm really praying that next Lent I can spend more time in contemplation with Him then I can fit in right now. Even if I don't get a new job; next Lent, I'm not scheduling as much "stuff".

I went to a grilling party on Saturday night and fell flat on my face (figuratively, Adoro!) into one of my old-school sins. I won't tell you what it is because it's scandalous. I skipped over to Terry Nelson's, of Abbey-Roads2, boyhood parish on the East Side because I know Fr. Welzbacher has regular Confession before each Mass. I confessed my party sin, including that I feel that my Lent is not going well. Father said, and this is not the first time I've heard this, you still have time to make Lent count. It's not too late.

Remember, Gentle Reader, it's not too late to make Lent count.

Oh, this is off topic, but I have found it really helps the spiritual journey to have one primary Confessor. In my case, it's my parish priest. However, there are times when he may not be available. I, also, have 4 back-up Confessors in town. All of my Confessors are solid and orthodox and give most excellent Sacrament. If you have not already done so, I recommend you get to know a few other priests as Confessors in your area. Or, if you travel a lot, like I do, and tend to go to the same areas, find a good Confessor in those areas as well. I have 2 Confessors outside of the Metro area that I go to when I'm on the road.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Wash my mouth out with soap if you think that this suggestion is scandalous.

What do you think of the idea of having a "Consumer Reports for Confessors?"

We all have our favorite blogs, our favorite ice cream, our favorite gas stations. Most of us (except moi) have our favorite parishes.

The problem I can see right off the bat is people nominating that most desirable of all confessors, a deaf priest! We can't have any of that!

March 20, 2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: LOL!

With your knowledge of all the parishes in town, you would be the perfect person to put a Catholic CR together for our area.

A deaf priest (and there are some in town) will still not let you off the hook. I assume they will ask you to write it out or sign it if you know ASL. Nice try, though, Ray!

March 21, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

When a person has 12 years of catechism/religion classes under his belt, still woefully not enough to prepare one for life, one spends a fair amount of time as a youth figuring out ways to get around the commandments of God and of the Church.

The "Deaf Confessor Ploy" was just one of many methods that we devised, but never used. Or, I hope nobody ever used it.

March 21, 2007 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page