March 07, 2007

Lent 2 week Check-up

Here we are 2 weeks into Lent. How's it goin'? I decided to do a check-up of my Lenten Intentions

* Frequent Adoration (I'm not doing much extra. My standing hour/week and maybe a few extra minutes here and there)

* I will not eat at the company cafeteria, I will bring breakfast/lunch everyday. (This is going well.)

* I spend about $40/week in the cafeteria. I'm taking the Unknown Angel of God's advice from the comments on one of my previous posts and I'm giving this money to my parish. (This is going well)

* Pray the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary every day. (I have not been doing this)

* Mass attendance as close to daily as I can manage with my work schedule.(I have not been doing this)

* Fast and Abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (I fasted and abstained on Ash Wednesday. Probably one of my most successful fasting days ever)

* Abstain from meat on Fridays (Going well)

* Confession before Lent kicks off and just before my Confirmation. Ultimately, I'll probably celebrate this Sacrament more then twice. (I went to Confession before Ash Wednesday and again last weekend)

* Meditate upon the Seven Last Words of Christ.(This is going well)

* Benediction and Stations of the Cross every Friday (I'm not going to be able to do every Friday due to scheduling conflicts. I will miss 2 Fridays)

* Assist with Lenten Soup Supper at my parish.(This is going well. The weather canceled our soup supper last week)

* I like Histor the Wise's suggestion to read something "heavy". Leaflet Missal here I come! Terry, I expect you to wait on me when I get there! (I went to Leaflet and purchased some reading materials. 2 books by the Holy Father and a book about St. Margaret Mary Alacoque. I, also, got to meet Terry of Abbey-Roads2 blog!)

* If the Holy Father's book Jesus of Nazareth is published before Easter, as expected, I'll definitely be reading that. (It's not out yet)

Even though they were not on my original list, I'm considering my attendance at The Pope & The Witch as well as the prayer vigil to be major Lenten penances-if penance for the prayer vigil is the right word? I can't think of a different word right now.

All in all not a bad Lent so far. Could be better, but what can't be better?

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Yaaaaaaaaaay, Cathy!

I didn't make a long list for Lent.

But I did one thing yesterday that I have been putting off for a very long time.

As most know, I was away from the Church for over 20 years and now I have been back for over 20 years.

But I've always felt like I didn't make a proper Confession back in 1981. I know that all my sins were forgiven because I had contrition for all of them, but the priest didn't quiz me to elicit more from me. He didn't have time because it was in the middle of a parish retreat. I walked in without any real planning.

But yesterday I made an appointment and popped in for a General Confession with a typed list of all the crap that I had done but never mentioned to anybody, let alone a priest.

I feel wonderful.

And I got a lot of good spiritual recommendations out of him, too.

It took almost an hour. Should I send him a Stipend, or would that just be for Masses, Weddings, Funerals, etc.?

March 07, 2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Ray - that's great! Why not pray the Rosary every day for a week for his intentions and make a couple Holy Hours for him in front of the Blessed Sacrament? A priest can always use more prayers!

Cathy - I am SO glad you posted this. I thought I was the only one sliding down...down...down....
I will address this on my own blog.
Thanks for the inspiration!

March 07, 2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray; Excellent! I would do as Angela suggested or perhaps leave a little extra in the plate.

Angela: A priest told me last year during Lent when I confessed that I did not think I was doing well with my Lenten path that what matters is what you do going forward. There is always time for self-correction.

March 08, 2007 4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page