March 13, 2007

Gay Symposium

Some people have asked me if I intend to protest or stage a prayer vigil at the The Sixth National Symposium on Catholicism and Homosexuality that will be held in Bloomington, Minnesota the 16th-18th of this month.

I prayed on it and decided that my answer is no. I won't be there.

Why? Why "The Pope and the Witch" but not this event?

"The Pope and the Witch" was outright blasphemy staged by an institution that we are all supporting with our taxes, staged by people who claim to value dialog and respect for peoples beliefs but they really don't.

The Gay Symposium is being staged by Catholics that are in denial about what the Catholic Church really teaches. They are misguided Catholics, like I used to be. It's not like no one at the Symposium has the slightest clue about what the Catechism, Scripture and Tradition say about the practice of homosexuality, they just don't like it. Cafeteria Catholicism at its finest. I have to have mercy on these Catholics. What they need is someone to teach them in no uncertain terms that they have to come to grips with the Truth or pray really hard for His mercy at their time of death.

These folks think that if they just protest and dialog really hard the Church is going to overturn centuries of teachings and say: "Oh, we were wrong, the practice of homosexuality is fine. Since we are at it, we should overturn the teachings on marital fidelity, sex outside of marriage, masturbation, birth control, artificial insemination..."

The Catholic Church teaches that homosexuals are welcome in the Church. Unfortunately, a lot of practicing homosexuals don't buy it because they believe that unless and until the Church allows them to practice their particular brand of sexuality, the Church does not really mean they are welcome.

I can invite you into my home but I expect you to abide by my rules while you are here. One of my household rules is that I don't allow smoking in my home. On the few occasions that I smoke, I even go outside. If you don't like my rules or can't live with them, please don't come over. Why would I make exceptions for my health so that you can support your deadly habit? Similarly, why should exceptions be made for your immortal soul to support a deadly habit?

We are all called to live in Christ according to our station in life. As a single woman it is not acceptable for me to masturbate, have sex without marriage, or decide I'm going to undergo in-vitro fertilization. It's not as though I'm "getting away" with something that the GLBT Catholics aren't. I don't have a different set of rules from all the other Catholics in the world.

Nobody said attaining Eternal Life was going to be easy.

I really think that any action about this symposium needs to be undertaken by those uniquely qualified like Courage.

In the meantime, please join me in praying for them.

7 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Excellent post Cathy!

March 13, 2007 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Terry of abbey said...

Thanks Cathy - great post.

March 13, 2007 8:56 PM  
Blogger Fr. Erik Richtsteig said...

Nicely said Cathy.

March 14, 2007 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Title Varies Slightly said...

Something else we can do is to write Archbishop Flynn and pray for him. It must have been a hard decision for him to make. And he'll certainly hear from the New Ways Ministries folks.

March 14, 2007 8:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

TVS: Excellent idea!

March 15, 2007 4:34 AM  
Blogger RecoveringCatholic said...

I read your comments with great interest and although I understand and respect your perspective on it, I just can’t agree with you. I want to say this as delicately as possible as I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but I don’t see the ‘the no-smoking policy’ in your house as an apt analogy to ‘abiding by the rules of the Church….like it or lump it policy’.

Imagine that one day that you were to invite a gay couple to your house for dinner one evening (knowingly or unknowingly). It would be absolutely unnecessary for you to say, “Okay guys, no kissing at the dinner table. You know the rules!” No dinner guest would knowingly engage in behaviour that might offend the host.

Now, let me tell you what happened to me and my friend the other day. Just a simple little incident which, unfortunately, is not all that uncommon. My friend and I were standing on the subway platform waiting for the train to pull in. He happened to notice a piece of lint or something that landed on the top part of my coat. I guess that he must have been standing too close to me, or picked it off too carefully, for when the train doors opened a woman stepped out the train and gave us one of the nastiest, ugliest, hateful looks. (As if I had spit on her shoe or something). We had just stopped policing ourselves for a minute….and there you go…
We certainly weren’t trying to provoke anyone. Who wants or needs the confrontation? Most gay people I know prefer to live discretely, …attracting as little attention to themselves as possible. Chances are gay parishioners attend Mass at your Church…maybe a couple of men or women in the choir. Should they stop coming Mass because they don’t agree with all of the Church’s teachings? If everyone did as such, there would be quite a few empty pews!

I love your terminology ‘cafeteria Catholics’… honestly, I do. It fits me to a tee. I need the spiritual nutrition that the Catholic Church gives me. OK, I can’t put everything that the Catholic Church dishes out on my tray. Some of it gives me indigestion! I know that….and somehow I know…deep down in my heart, that God in His wisdom and compassion really wants me to find and give joy and happiness to others. (God have mercy on all our souls).

I don’t know enough about the gay and lesbian conference. I can’t say that I would agree with all of their demands and I certainly wouldn’t expect any change in the Catholic Church’s teachings. But this much I would say…we live in an increasingly diverse and complex society and there is a greater need for dialogue and certainly the Church could do more to promote a little more understanding and compassion.

March 18, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

RC: My analogy was simplistic but the point remains. All are welcome to attend Mass, however, anyone conscious of grave sin (and the practice of homosexuality is one) should not be receiving the Body and/or the Blood of Christ with first receiving Sacramental Confession with the serious intent to reform their life (in this case that would mean not having gay or lesbian sex). Similar rules apply to me: as a single woman if I have sex with my boyfriend before Mass and don't Confess and receive Absolution beforehand with the intent to never do it again then I should not be going up for Communion.

That's the main problem, people engaging in serious sins are not making any attempt to reform their lives, rather they expect the Church to change so that they don't have to amend their lives.

I KNOW there are gays and lesbians in the church. I'm friends with some of them. I have one gay friend who has made a vow of celibacy. The others still don't get it or just don't want to hear it.

I'm not setting myself up as their judge. That's God's job. However, it is my job as a Christian to point out when and where I see my friends in Christ err. My friends do the same for me.

March 18, 2007 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page