March 13, 2007

Does Anyone Enjoy Liturgical Dance

or is this a way to create gainful employment for folks who can't make the cut for their local production of A Chorus Line?

The Crescat has a post on a guy I've seen circulating around the blogosphere before. Terry links to it as well.

I hate and despise liturgical dance. I pray none of you have been exposed to as much of it as I have. Liturgical dance is HUGE with the dissenting Catholic crowd. On more then one occasion, I had to flee the area because I started laughing during the middle of the dancers set. It's just ridiculous as a art form (not all dance just liturgical dance). It's ridiculous that it exists in so many of our Catholic churches.

Most liturgical dance that I've seen is by women in leotards and see-thru long skirts. Most of the women that I know who think liturgical dance is just fantastic are people that are looking for ANY way to get themselves around the altar.

The ONLY liturgical dance I care to see is the priest's prescribed gestures and postures during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Please take a moment to participate in my poll below. You can also feel free to comment away!







Do You Enjoy Liturgical Dance?
Current results

8 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

The only time that I have ever seen it (liturgical dance) was at a Good Friday service at a meditation/prayer service in the Benedictine Center behind the Assumption Church in downtown St Paul.

There were few of us present and then women "in leotards and see-thru long skirt" stood up and performed for a bit.

It was early on in my reversion process.

At the time, I thought that she evoked a bit of the pain of the Passion. Now having seen "The Passion of the Christ" a half dozen times or so (It's an annual event for me) I no longer need liturgical dance.

March 13, 2007 1:24 PM  
Anonymous smk said...

Fr. Benedict Groshel tells the story of once, when he was presiding at Mass in a VERY 'modern' convent, one of the "Sisters" came up the aisle, in a liturgical dance. Father Benedict claims he heard laughter coming from the tabernacle!

March 13, 2007 1:34 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

smk: LOL!

March 13, 2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I think it's completely undignified. I'm actually reminded of Herod's daughter, a princess, dancing for the court; which was quite scandalous.

We are all adopted sons and daughters of God; we are the royal priesthood. It is not dignified nor is it appropriate in any way for any of us to parade around in a way common to courtesans in Biblical times.


Disclaimer; for those places in which dancing has ALWAYS been an expression of worship, my comments do not apply. "Liturgical Dance" has no place in white American society.

Period.

March 13, 2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger onionboy said...

Here's my answer to your question.

::thrive!
Owen
luminousmiseries.ca
onionboy.ca

March 14, 2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger deanna said...

I have seen liturgical dance by women/children for whom it is not a native expression and then when it is done as a native cultural expression.Of course, in the context of native to the culture, it is beautiful and meaningful. Otherwise it is people calling attention to themselves, which has no purpose in liturgy.

March 15, 2007 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Chris said...

"Most liturgical dance that I've seen is by women in leotards and see-thru long skirts. "

You forgot a possible response in your poll: i enjoy liturgical dance, but for all the wrong reasons :-)

March 18, 2007 6:12 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Good point. Yet, another reason it's not right to see it in our churches! :-)

March 18, 2007 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page