March 30, 2007

Catholic Weekend

Local readers: Are you looking for something to do this weekend that will fit in nicely with Lent?

Epiphany Studio Productions' "The Scrutiny Passion" is tonight March 30th, 7 p.m. at St. Olaf in Minneapolis. This is the last performance scheduled for this Lent. I saw it, with Ray of Stella Borealis blog, last night. Jeremy Stanbary has a phenomenal soliloquy on witnessing the Passion. It is a 3 actor play. 3 people from the Gospels: the Woman at the Well, Lazarus and the Blind Beggar describe their encounters with Jesus and attempt to explain what and who Jesus is and what He meant to each of them. Very well done. If you can't see it, please consider supporting Epiphany Studios is another way. They are an outstanding CATHOLIC theater company and they can use our help to keep their apostolate going. Protestants excel at using theater as part of their evangelization. Why can't we?

Into Great Silence a 2005 German made film about a monastery in the French Alps is playing at the Lagoon in Minneapolis. This is, so far, the only theater it is showing at in this area. Several other local bloggers and I will be at the 8 p.m. showing tonight.

AND, don't forget this Sunday is Palm Sunday! I'm sure you were going to Mass anyway, right?

UPDATE 3/31/07: Into Great Silence riveted me. I highly recommend it if you are looking for something meditative this Lent. It really puts you into the rhythms of monastic life. I think it helps to be a Catholic so you understand the significance and importance of what they are doing during the film but not strictly necessary. I laughed out loud during the scene of one of the rare days the Carthusians are allowed out and allowed to speak freely with one another. Many of them are sitting around discussing one of their rituals (handwashing). It's mentioned that another monastery does not do that. One of them says: "[But] they're Trappists!" You had to be there.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

I'm glad you posted on "The Scrutiny Passion." I totally spaced on it.

I thought it was a wonderful performance, with extremely professional sound, lighting and music and a wonderful script by Stanbary, powerfully presented by all three actors.

I was particularly moved by the Passion soliloquy by Stanbary.

In future years it will be a standard with parishes fighting for it during Lent for their congregations.

March 30, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Cathy, I can't make it to the screening of Into Great Silence - I'm having Michael Jackson post-op type problems with my recent nose job, it feels like it's falling off!

March 30, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Terry: That's the best excuse I've ever heard. I'm still disturbed by your obsession with facial perfection. Just wear a face mask and no one will notice!

March 30, 2007 5:30 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I'm so jealous...I couldn't go to either event.

Do you think Jeremy would perform a private showing for local Catholic bloggers? (Well..not really private...it's not like any of us can keep our mouths shut. That's why we blog....)

:-)

March 30, 2007 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page