February 15, 2007

Why Only 40 Days?

I've been reflecting and praying on this post from yesterday about Lenten Discipline.

I looked at the list of what I "did" for Lent last year and with a few exceptions it's pretty much what I do now.

Then, I thought: Why have a Lenten discipline(s)? Am I mistaken in believing that we should be sacrificing all year long for Our Lord? Shouldn't the entire year be a Lent, not just 40 days?

I thought: If I'm only sacrificing or REALLY devoting myself to Him for 40 days a year then my Faith is pretty weak.

Sacrifice, to me, usually means: time, money, and food.

We should be living in Christ year-round, right? Why not sacrificing for Him too?

Update 5 minutes later: It's me again. Fractal for Brains. Anyway, I realize that some people, myself included, occasionally need a big kick in the heinie to get ourselves motivated. For instance: I am currently taking a 5:00 a.m. workout class called: Bootcamp: Look Good Naked. Or, as I like to call it: Dead: Look Good In Your Coffin at Your Wake. My friends all think I'm nuts to sign up for this class that early in the morning. Well, when you need it, you need it. I'm an early riser and I was going to the gym regularly but I won't work out at the level of intensity on my own without the additional motivation. Is the correlation here with Lent? If anyone is still with me, let me know. Is the need for more motivation why we have Lenten Discipline?

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

I would say, the need for more DISCIPLINE is the reason that I NEED Lenten Discipline!

February 16, 2007 6:45 AM  
Blogger Histor the Wise said...

The reason it's only 40 days is that normal people (i.e. everyone who isn't doing a 365-day Lent already) don't have the guts to do a 365-day Lenten sacrifice.

February 16, 2007 8:51 AM  
Blogger Entropy said...

I really love the 40 days of Lent. I understand the feeling that we should be sacrificing all year long, but to me it's nice to have a specific time set aside for conscious, dedicated, devotion and sacrifice. Of course, we still are supposed to sacrifice on the Fridays throughout the year (which I didn't know until recently!). But I like that we also mimic Christ's time in the desert. There are plenty of times throughout the year for sacrifice but this special time right before Easter is so quiet and contemplative that it makes it even more special that it's just once a year and not all the time.

February 16, 2007 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page