February 10, 2007

Mitt

Another example of the fact that nobody is asking Mitt Romney the right questions:

Deep curtsy to Chistine Schult for the article link.

In various news stories, radio interviews and magazine profiles I've read that Mitt Romney is answering a lot of questions about the former Mormon practice of polygamy. Cripes, get over it. The LDS church has not practiced that since, oh, 1896. If he was a member of the splinter Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, it would be a valid question. The mainline Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does not recognize the Fundamentalist Church. The Fundamentalists Mormon members are automatically excommunicated and not allowed to enter the mainline LDS churches and temples.

Also, there are the nay-sayers who think Mormonism is a cult and not an real religion so Mr. Romney is busy answering questions about that. It's not for me to give an opinion about Mormonism being "true". I'm biased, because I think Roman Catholicism is the only true religion.

He's getting the John Kennedy type questions (and he's answering like President Kennedy too): "How Mormon are you?" To which he kind of talks around it. "the faith informs my life and its important but it's not everything. If I'm elected blah, blah, blah"

Mitt Romney is a clever man. He knows just what to say and when to say it.

If he is truly a practicing Mormon, if he expects to keep or get a Temple recommend from his Bishop or Branch President, he will have to stay in line with their faith.

This means: No gay marriage support. Mormons believe in marriage only between a man and a woman period. Also, sexual relations are allowed only between a man and a woman who are legally married.

Abortion: The LDS church will allow an abortion to occur in cases of danger to the mother's health or rape.

Birth Control: The LDS church discourages its use but they will allow a married couple to use it if the burden of more children is too great upon the wife who is the childbearer and the primary caregiver of the children.

If the press bothered to do even a cursory examination of the Doctrine's of the Mormon faith instead of falling back upon the old, tired, stereotypes, we may all actually learn something.

For instance: Did you know that Mormons believe that St. Michael the Archangel became Adam? I'd personally enjoy hearing Mr. Romney explain that one to a Catholic audience. Also, I'd ask: how anti-Catholic are you Mr. Romney? I'd be interested in hearing that question answered. Mormons are historically VERY anti-Roman Catholic. A fact, I've always found interesting since it has always seemed to me their President (currently Gordon B. Hinckley) has a lot of papal-like power. Alas, he's not the Sucessor of Peter-so there. As a Native American, I'd enjoy putting him on the spot by asking him how exactly I'm a descendant of wandering Hebrews?

You've probably guessed that the Mormons avoid my home like the plague. No young Elders on bikes in my 'hood.

The Romney family has ties to the Mormon church going back to its beginnings. His great-great-Grandfather was married to the sister of Joseph Smith's, (plural) wife, Olive. Joseph Smith, was the founder of the LDS church. A relative was a former member of the First Presidency. I find it hard to believe he's going to forget all that given how proud the Mormons are of their history.

Without a Temple recommend he cannot enter a Mormon Temple for their "sacraments". He can attend the local church but the Temple is different. The Tabernacle in Salt Lake City is the worldwide church headquarters or what you could say: the main temple. Imagine the public embarassment if he is unable to enter the sanctuary of the Mormom Tabernacle!

Practicing Mormons take their faith and its commitments very seriously. They are going to be watching him. It's possible his Bishop could overlook what Mr. Romney is doing and give him the Temple recommend anyway. But, from what I, personally, know of Mormons and their leaders, I'm skeptical that this will actually happen.

But, I ask myself, why didn't Orrin Hatch, face this kind of scrutiny when he ran for President in 2000? True, Senator Hatch's campaign was not taken seriously from the start. But, still, if you are going to make one's faith an "issue" then you should make the same issue for all of that faith's adherents.

It's possible that someone, from either party, is making Mr. Romney's faith an issue because he is a credible candidate. A fine example of The Dirty Laundry debate? I ask myself is it an accident that John "Breck Boy" Edwards* is under attack for his blogger hires and his McMansion? I doubt it.

Trivia: Mitt is not his first name. His first name is Willard.

*Deep Curtsy to Christine for the Breck Boy label! I thought it was so funny that I spewed Diet Mountain Dew all over my lap(top) yesterday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Histor the Wise said...

"how exactly I'm a descendant of wandering Hebrews?"

Kinda hard to wander across the North Atlantic, though.

I wonder if they've bugged him concerning Mormonism's anti-black policies of yore.

Of course, it's unlikely he supports them, but they're part of Mormonism's history.

February 10, 2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

I have heard that most Mormons actually hold a deep respect for the Catholic church...although JW's are extremely anti-Catholic and they believe we're all going to Hell.

I had a JW and her daughter at my door a year or so ago. During our initial "meeting" I was actually on my way out to walk my dogs. Her daughter asked to pet them, I gave permission then we went our seperate ways with the woman encouraging me to read the Bible...which I assured her I did.

A couple weeks later she was back, and had me mixed up with a neighbor she'd apparently left literature with. I told her that she had us confused, but I was not interested as I am Catholic, attend the church down the street and I am very committed to Jesus Christ and His Church. I thought she was going to die on the spot. The expression that crossed her face! She was suffering real agony...this woman really believed I am going to Hell! Poor lady. She doesn't know any better.

The Moromons I have met, though, have always seemed respectful of our beliefs and didn't actually try to convert me, that I remember. I went to high school with a Mormon, sweet girl, very intelligent. She was careful not to denigrate anyone's religion, and one day did share some of their beliefs.

But I know that some of their beliefs are very...anti-race, anti- lots of stuff. Maybe I was just lucky not to come across the ones you cite.


I just wish Catholics would all hold our "representatives" under a microscope to the degree the Mormons are holding their guy.

February 10, 2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

That's the first time I heard about St Michael becoming Adam.

I've read that after death, Mormons become gods (small "g") and inhabit various uninhabited planets.

I wonder if there is a "Dummies" book on the LDS Church?

"Breck Boy?" Is that a comment about Edwards' hair?

February 10, 2007 5:59 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: The individual Mormons try hard not to be anti-Catholic but there is an element of it in their faith.

Histor: Excellent point. It was only fairly recently that Mormons changed their position on Blacks.

Ray: Yes, Breck Boy is a comment on Mr. Edwards' hair!

February 10, 2007 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page