February 16, 2007

Lent Discipline 2007

I've finally decided what I'm going to "do" for Lent 2007. Yes, really. I'm not going to change my mind for 2 reasons:
1) my lunch break is almost over,
2) I'm giving up indecision in anticipation of Quinquagesima (after that all bets are off!)

* Frequent Adoration
* I will not eat at the company cafeteria, I will bring breakfast/lunch everyday.
* I spend about $40/week in the cafeteria. I'm taking the Unknown Angel of God's advice from the comments on one of my previous posts and I'm giving this money to my parish. (So, Fr. Ryan, be ready. I know you read my blog!)
* Pray the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary every day.
* Mass attendance as close to daily as I can manage with my work schedule.
* Fast and Abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday
* Abstain from meat on Fridays
* Confession before Lent kicks off and just before my Confirmation. Ultimately, I'll probably celebrate this Sacrament more then twice.
* Meditate upon the Seven Last Words of Christ.
* Benediction and Stations of the Cross every Friday
* Assist with Lenten Soup Supper at my parish.
* I like Histor the Wise's suggestion to read something "heavy". Leaflet Missal here I come! Terry, I expect you to wait on me when I get there!
* If the Holy Father's book Jesus of Nazareth is published before Easter, as expected, I'll definitely be reading that.

I decided to discipline myself. Ray from MN and Angela Messenger's communique's were especially helpful. But, I liked Terry's comment in my post the other day very much too. I'll keep that one in mind.

A heartfelt thanks and a deep curtsy to all who advised me and/or prayed on it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Cathy - I think Lent is going to be exciting this year for many reasons. We (bloggers) have each other for support and feedback for one thing. I know by the end of week 4 I start to wear out. I think this year will be different.

It is also exciting that you will be confirmed during the Easter season and it's such a privelege to journey with someone in that position. It sheds a whole new light on what it means to be Catholic.

Communiques will continue!

February 16, 2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I'm exhausted just reading her plan! Do you expect to be sleeping during Lent, Cathy?

February 16, 2007 5:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: You know what, it was challenging last year but I did it. You know my schedule, do you think I sleep now?!? :-)

Angela: Absolutely. Blogger support is so important to me. Keep those cards and letters coming! God Bless You.

February 16, 2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger Simon-Peter said...

If you can get Dom Guerangers "The Liturgical Year" from St. Bonaventure Press, and reda and meditate each day, on each day, it really will keep you going.

http://www.libers.com/

specifically here:

http://www.libers.com/liturgical_year.htm

If you get it now, you'll miss a couple of days, but you will not be disappointed, I promise, promise, promise, promise.

Overall, as a tool for self-catechizing it is outstanding, simply outstanding.

February 20, 2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Simon-Peter!

February 20, 2007 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page