February 23, 2007

I'm Stunned

Gentle Reader: If you've read my blog long enough, you know I go out of my way to avoid mentioning the parish in South Minneapolis that I used to belong to for many years.

Sometimes, said parish does things that blow even me away.

A friend, whom I'm sorry to say, still attends said parish told me I should come on down for some theology classes they are offering. Before I even read about it, I said, "No, thanks" I'm well aware (now) of what a distorted view the educators in said parish hold of the Catholicism.

I could not help myself. My curiosity got the better of me so here's the overview of the "theology" classes from the Sunday, Feb. 18th bulletin

St. Joan’s Theology 101: Lent 2007 Wednesday Adult Forum. This series is a basic introduction to an overview of the theological vision and practices that shape the life of the St. Joan of Arc community. Every Wednesday beginning Feb. 28 following soup supper and the prayer service. Led by parish staff and parishioners.

Feb. 28: “How We See God: A Creation-Centered Vision”
March 7: “Sin and Salvation: the Mission of Liberation in the Here and Now”
March 14: “Spirituality: Opening Ourselves to Mystical (and Earthy) Encounters”
March 21: “Following and Becoming Jesus: Practicing a Low Christology”
March 28: “Summed Up in Worship: the Joyful Liturgy and Rituals of St. Joan’s”


I did not change a word of the bulletin column. That is exactly what it says.

In the 20 some years, I've "known" this parish: this is the first time I can recall them being so blatently truthful about whose "theology" they really espouse.

I have no more to say, I'm stunned. I can't even be sarcastic or humorous about it.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing shocks me about SJA anymore. I'm just numb to it.

February 23, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

It seems very "me" centred.

Just as a contrast...my parish which celebrates the NO Mass, where we sit in the "round" and have altar girls and 8 EMHCs every Mass and where we regularly sing Haugen and Haas - this is what's being covered at Catholicism 201...Feb. 2, the Church, Feb. 9, Sacraments of Initiation, Feb. 24, Retreat with Mass, Confession and Anointing, Mar. 2 Sacraments of Vocation, Mar. 9 Mary and the Saints, Mar. 16 Christianity and Morality, Mar. 30 Thorny Issues.

We are expected to bring a Catechism and a Bible. Imagine that!

February 23, 2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I don't know what to type.

Maybe I should sign up for the 2007 SJA Lent Retreat: “A Dangerous Journey: A Voyage of Passion and Delight”

Then I'll be ready for the Theology Course.

February 23, 2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Would that be the Ray from MN Lenten course?

Angela: I think they'd faint if they had those good titles for courses.

February 24, 2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I'm so unsurprised.

God help that parish! Let's step up the prayers, people!

February 24, 2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger bearing said...

It's very creepy.

You know, this may seem weird, but the part that seems to "sting" me most is that poor Saint Joan (the actual real French person) has to have her name on all this stuff all the time. It was hardly *her* theology.

February 25, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

bearing: I agree.

February 25, 2007 5:44 PM  
Blogger Kasia said...

Oh, dear.

Am I misremembering, or was one of the "womenpriests" who was "ordained" last summer a parishioner there?

February 26, 2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

kasia: No, though the "womenpriests" have many fans at SJA.

You may be thinking of their recent advertisment/promotion of a local "womanpriest" "mass" in their Sunday Bulletin. In response to great criticism, they issued a rare retraction. Of course, this was after the notice had already been published and seen.

February 26, 2007 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean they let a woman be a priest. OH MY GOSH the sheer horror of it all.

Look folks the RCC is dying in America. It's theologyhas long proven silly by first Protestants then later secularists. It's a political organization that most ofyou where raised in and simply don't question.

It's theology. Take it with a grain of salt and quit being so arrogant to think you or any of the 'priests' you listen to do either.

March 03, 2007 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little outside your target audience, but I was wondering whether you could answer a question.

I'm an agnostic, and I was raised without religion, so I don't really know much about catholicism, and I was wondering if you could explain why this isn't good catholic theology from your perspective.

Because, if I was walking by and saw this pinned up, all the "sin and salvation" "how we see god: a creation-centered vision" etc stuff would seem pretty normal christian stuff to me.

so what's got your goat up about this?

-Ali

March 04, 2007 6:55 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

anonymous: Women are not allowed to be priests in the Catholic church.

The Church is not a political organization. That's the same mistake Robert Rosen of the U of MN theater department is making.

Some Catholics do only remain in the Church because they don't know anything else and their Faith is weak. I don't happen to be one of them.

March 04, 2007 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 20, 2009 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page