February 05, 2007

Housekeeping Meme

Angela Messenger has this fun Housekeeping Meme. She tagged everyone with a washing mashine. I checked my basement and it appears that I DO have a washing machine!

Aprons – Y/N?
Yes. I have at least two. Unfortunately, I remember to put one on right after I splash my shirt with something.

Baking – Favorite thing to bake:
Homemade Caramel rolls-yes, they are fantastic!

Clothesline – Y/N?
Yes, and I use it. Like Angela I DON'T hang my bloomers on it. And they are bloomers.

Donuts – Have you ever made them?
Like Angela: at LEAST 20 years ago. I was helping my Mom. I'm not a big donut fan anyway so I don't have any motivation to try them at home again.

One homemaking thing you do every day:
Make my bed.

Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze?
No. Not enough room in my house for much extra of anything.

Garbage Disposal – Y/N?
No. I've never lived in a home that had one.

Handbook – What is your favorite homemaking resource?
How to Clean Almost Anything. It's an old book my Mom had from the 50s or 60s. It's just wonderful. It may be out of print. I've yet to meet anyone else with a copy.

Ironing – Love it or hate it?
I absolutely HATE ironing. That's me standing by the dryer waiting to pull items straight out. Though on the rare occasions when I do iron I'm a big fan of heavy starch. Box starch-which is really hard to find these days.

Junk drawer – Y/N? Where is it?
Yes, in the kitchen.

Kitchen: Design & Decorating?
Let's see. I have the world's ugliest LINOLEUM sheet countertop and matching backsplash. Not to mention my real linoleum square asbestos tiles on the floor. All of this will go-when I have the money to pay for its replacement.

Love: What is your favorite part of homemaking?
Planning a meal and executing it to perfection.

Mop - Y/N?
Yes, and I wax my floor too.

Nylons - Wash by hand or in the washing machine?
By hand.

Oven - Do you use the window, or open the door to check?
Hmmm...hard to get the item OUT of the oven without actually opening the door, eh? Ok, ok, I know what you meant. I usually open the door.

Pizza - What do you put on yours?
Green peppers, black olives, tomatoes, onions, basil, and mushrooms. Lots of mozzarella cheese.

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
When I have a quiet moment I am usually praying or reading something Catholic (i.e. Catechism, Bible, Prayer book, Catholic newspaper or magazine)

Recipe card box - Y/N?
I have 4. Yes, count 'em 4 recipes boxes! 2 of them hold my beloved Mother's recipes. If there is ever a fire and I can only grab a few items, those will be among the items I will grab. They have her handwritten notes on them. More precious to me then gold. Plus, I have a lot of cookbooks and individual cooking magazine issues.

Style of house -
One of my many "to-dos" is researching my home. My home was built in 1925 using what, I believe, is a modified design of the Sears & Roebuck "The Fairy" house (Model #3217)

Tablecloths and napkins - Y/N?
I only put a tablecloth on for special occasions. Otherwise, my cats tend to pull on them. I use heavy paper napkins-an obsession I inherited from my Maternal Grandmother.

Under the kitchen sink - Organized or toxic wasteland?
My toxic wasteland is elsewhere in the house. I have a cake holder, various thermoses, my emergency power outtage kit and some cat toys under the sink. It's a complete disaster.

Vacuum - How many times per week?
At LEAST once/week. I have two cats and one is a longhair so cat tumbleweed is an ongoing issue. Plus, I have an allergy to dust so I have to vacuum a lot.

Wash - How many loads of laundry do you do a week?
At least 2. Not more then 5.

X's - Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?
Yes. I am a compulsive lister. It does not help that I misplace the lists!

Yard - Who does what?
Sigh. Singletons like me do their own yardwork. Fortunately, I live in St. Paul's South Como neighborhood-home to VERY small lots!

Zzz's - What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?
These days, filling my humidifier.

I tag anyone with a sink! Ha-ha!

6 Comments:

Anonymous terry of abbey said...

Now Cathy,
How can I do this meme, I don't have nylons.
geesh!

February 05, 2007 8:57 PM  
Anonymous terry of abbey said...

Oops! Found the nylons.

February 05, 2007 9:00 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

terry: Somehow I KNEW it! Ha-ha!

February 06, 2007 4:18 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I don't have nylons either and my answer to all questions would be "no."

Except, I do have a junk drawer in the kitchen. Actually, all my drawers could be described as junk drawers.

I would add that the greatest invention of the 20th Century was the chemical that created the possibility of "permanent press" clothing.

While not permanent, and not really looking pressed, it did make it possible to appear in public looking somewhat presentable without having to iron shirts and pants or incurring outrageous commercial laundry charges.

"Permanent Press" should also be added to the list of factors in the reduction of the birth rate. When wives became unnecessary for ironing, ipso facto, the birth rate tumbled, even before the invention of the "pill."

February 06, 2007 7:45 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Very creative. You've managed to come up with a demographic theory based upon my meme!

February 06, 2007 8:08 AM  
Blogger Carolina Cannonball said...

a sink.... I think I have one of those under the pile of dishes.

February 07, 2007 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page