February 20, 2007

Cathy's Parish Calendar



Why does the 2007 calendar that my parish gave out at the beginning of the year have art by a Mormon?

Are there NO modern Roman Catholic artists capable of illustrating a calendar? I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is: no.

I really looked at my calendar today. The artwork for this month depicts The Agony in the Garden at Gethsemene-as we Catholics usually refer to the event. In this case, the artwork is titled: The Olive Press. But, I ask you, where's the Agony? I mean, this Jesus looks like He's lounging around waiting for someone to come by with dinner. He looks a little perturbed, not agonized. Where's the blood? Where's the Angel with the Cup? His nimbus is so faint, He could almost be any man. Look at the background. The Apostles are supposed to be sleeping. Here it looks like they are swooning. Who sleeps standing up? Well, I suppose some people do. I witness the phenomenon of people sleeping standing up, daily, at work.

When I looked at every month, it occurred to me that this art looks a lot like the art that adorns my Mormon friends home.

Sure enough, the artist Delwin (Del) Parson is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have nothing against Mr. Parson's (what a name!) religious interpretation; it's fine if you are a PROTESTANT. But, this calendar is in use in a Roman Catholic parish. Possibly, many parishes. This calendar has Protestant perspectives of Biblical events.

The name of the calendar is God's Gift and it is printed by Norwood. It has my parishes worship times and address on it. It also has the major Roman Catholic Feast days and Holy Days of Obligation.

But, who is responsible for ordering these calendars? The parish? Does the Archdiocese get a bulk rate? I don't know who to take this issue up with because I don't know how the process of getting these calendars works. If anyone knows, please comment.

Notes: There is a larger image available here. Also, there is more of Mr. Parson's work from this calendar on this page. Not everything on that page is in the calendar but several of the artworks are.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Was that calendar provided to your parish by a funeral home?

In my "parish shopping" excursions around the Twin Cities, I have noted that many parishes get their calendars from the neighborhood undertaker.

February 20, 2007 3:23 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

We get out calendars from COMDA. The art is VERY Catholic. I am sure my non-practicing kids cringe when they see it.

www.comdacalendars.com

February 20, 2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: There is a local funeral homes info in it but I can't say for sure we get the calendar from them.

Angela: Thanks for the link. At least, that looks better then what we have. However, I notice COMDA also has a calendar called Building Babes..

February 20, 2007 4:39 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

Ours includes the work of various Renaissance and Baroque masters (El Greco is particularly popular this year). Very Catholic and very nice. And now that you mention it, it is courtesy of the neighbourhood funeral home.

February 20, 2007 6:18 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Cathy...somehow that doesn't surprise me. It's like the printers that do ProLife cheques but also do PP ones. (I just stick with my plain cheques.)

February 20, 2007 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page