January 11, 2007

What Does Where You Dwell Say About You?

Jeff Cavins' blog "If the local newspaper had been following you around during this past week looking for evidence that you were a disciple of Christ, what evidence would be most convincing? Would it be the vision statement for your corporation or apostolate? Would it be your ability to raise funds to drive your project? Would it be how many times you went to mass or prayed the rosary? What would be the most convincing evidence that would lead the reader to conclude that you were a Christian?"


Adoro
blogged about this too

I took this in a different, Babbitt-like direction. What does where you dwell say about you?

I'm not using dwell to mean your home. I'm using it in the sense of where you spend your time when you are not at work. In other words, "where you hang-out". Where do you go to relax?

What does this individual's weekly schedule and dwellings say about their relationship with God?

*Friday evening-(New Year's Eve) party at A's house.
*Saturday (New Year's Day and Mary Mother of God)-supposed to meet for brunch at K's house-too hung over to make it. Movie with C later.
*Sunday-Movie with M late morning/early afternoon.
*Wednesday-evening dinner with S at Red Dragon, band at 7th Street Entry
*Thursday-late for work because of Wednesday evening revels
*Friday-Happy Hour at Liquor Lyle's with K, A, M and S. Happy "Hour" ended up being until 1:00 a.m.
*Saturday-evening dinner with D
*Sunday-skipped church Too tired after that week of work and whatever.

This was my schedule the 1st week of 2005.

One of the advantages (and horrors) of handheld organizers is the schedule can remain in perpetuity until you delete it. I knew I was late for work on that Thursday because my online work calender still shows it. I know I skipped church the following Sunday (the 9th) because I was supposed to volunteer that day and I called and said I was not going to make it. I probably lied and said I was ill. I had no concept of Holy Day's of Obligation back then so I'm 99% sure I did not go to Mass on New Year's Day for Our Blessed Lady. I probably did not go to Mass on Sunday the 2nd either.

It's clear that my priority was not God. It was partying with my friends. If I had cared much about Confession then, and I did not, I should have been camped out near the Confessional for most of that week. Of course, I was not.

What was my schedule for the 1st week of this year?

Sunday the 31st: Mass
Monday the 1st: Mass (even though the obligation was abrogated I still went)
Tuesday the 2nd: Adoration-my standing hour in the evening, later Novena and Rosary devotions.
Wednesday the 3rd: Mass for the Holy Name of Jesus
Thursday the 4th: Confession
Friday the 5th: First Friday Mass
Saturday the 6th: First Saturday Mass
Sunday the 7th: Mass

That's it. Not a party or a drinking excursion in there. Some of my old friends think I'm boring now. You know what? I've never been happier. I always felt like a complete phony, running around the bar or the club making an a-- of myself, dancing indecently, drinking too much. Spending the next day hugging the toilet.... Is that fun? No.

How about you? What does where you spend your free time say about your relationship with God? Has there been improvement? Still needs work?

7 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

I don't think that I have said this before, but, Welcome (back) home, Cathy! You've done well. Your Father (and your father) must be pleased with you.

What really struck me though is that if the year was 1981-84, you might have been sitting next to me at Liquor Lyles and certainly if it had been 1985-87, I would have been in the next booth in the Red Dragon.

Small world.

I think your new habits (and mine too), are much more productive.

January 11, 2007 4:30 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Thanks and welcome back to you!

January 11, 2007 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine, I would say, suggests I'm more a follower of Cicero than Christ (figuratively speaking, of course).

January 11, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Cathy... I am going to do one too. Glad I am not the only ex-partier in the blogosphere!

January 11, 2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Histor: Well, you could a lot worse then Cicero!

Angela: I'm sure we are not the only ex-partiers around!

January 12, 2007 5:04 AM  
Blogger IR said...

Read your post. Thought about it.
Verdict: me be guilty.

January 12, 2007 11:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

ir: It's not too late....

January 13, 2007 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page