January 06, 2007

Get Up Lazy Bones!

Gentle Reader: One of my intentions going forward is to strive for the First Friday and First Saturday devotions.

I made it to Confession Thursday evening-no problem.
I made it to a Mass of the Sacred Heart yesterday after work-no problem.

Unfortunately, this morning, there I am lolling in bed with my cats snuggled in with me. All nice and warm and drowsy. I swear I can hear Satan telling me: "You're tired, its not a big deal to miss the Mass for Mary's Immaculate Heart today. You made it to Mass yesterday for Her Son. That's enough"

I gave in and slept too late to make the 8:00 a.m. Mass. The only Mass at the parishes nearby.

I got up after a brief time and was on the computer (seems I can always make time for that!). The Holy Spirit prompted me to check on Mass times down in Hastings where Fr. Altier is. Hey, if I really step on it, I can make the 9:00 a.m. Mass. Score.

I cannot express to you the joy I felt when I was given a second chance.

I was thinking. If I would have had to get up to go hunting, fishing or biking (activities I enjoy that require an early rise on the weekend) would it have been such a chore? The answer: no.

Why do I sometimes treat going to Mass like I'm going to an in-laws house? I don't have in-laws but I hear a lot of you married folk complaining about it quite a bit so it must be torture.

I really feel like a lot of my prayers have been answered of late. To show my gratitude I'm going to be a sloth. What kind of an attitude is that?

Jesus comes whenever and wherever He is called. He always shows up. He's always around. Even when we may not be aware of Him.

In all the Tabernacles of all the World, there He is. In all the Holy Sacrifices of the Mass, East and West there He is. In all the consecrated Hosts, in all the Universe there He is.

What if He said: "I'm tired, I'm not going to come when you call" or "I'm really tired of YOU, I'm not coming when you call" How terrifying would that be? Talk about alone.

Yet, Jesus is alone when we ignore Him. When I ignore Him.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good fer you. At least you didn't resolve to lose weight (that annoying habit).

I bet if Americans just learned self-mortification they wouldn't need diets. Ah, pipe dreams.

Histor

January 07, 2007 12:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Histor: I could stand to lose some weight. However, I don't DO New Year's resolutions. Most of them involve a level of selfishness and self-centeredness that I try to avoid now.

I'm all about Him.

January 07, 2007 8:37 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Speaking of resolutions, I'm thinking of adopting the hair shirt for Lent. Not very hard, though.

January 07, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: If you do, get a bug comb.

January 07, 2007 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page