December 01, 2006

Where is He?

It only took me about 20-30 years to realize that at every Mass the Host is more then just a neutral tasting piece of dried bread. Once I finally learned and accepted the Dogma of the Real Presence I wanted to see the Host and receive it as much as possible.

I started noticing that Jesus in the Tabernacle was frequently absent. Where is He? Where's the Tabernacle? It became a game: Where in the Catholic Church is Jesus?

My CINO friends tell me "We are Jesus" We don't need the presence of the Tabernacle to remind us Jesus is here because He lives in us. Thus, its o.k. if there is no Tabernacle or if the Tabernacle in a storage closet. Mass is on a basketball court. What matters is the gang is all here. We don't need to genuflect before the Lord because he's a buddy. He'll just chill in the other room while we do our thang.

If you follow this line of "logic" to its natural conclusion. If it's true that Jesus is the community of the church of enlightened rainbow hipsters. Why do we need to receive the Host at all? Why do we even have Communion? Why even have Mass every week? We can just meet for dinner at Buca, share biscotti and call that Communion. Jesus is there in us, right?

Why bother with worrying about being in a State of Grace and obtaining Sacramental Confession and receiving Jesus properly disposed if He's in you all the time?

The very act of receiving Communion becomes meaningless to such as these.

Communion is reduced to being no more then a meal with friends and family. It's not about being worthy to receive Jesus becuase Jesus is already in me before I go up to the Priest or the EMHC. Oh, and who talks about being worthy anymore? That's so Middle Ages.

I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Why do I need to add to it? I'll just commune with my buddies at Mass and sing and liturgical dance my little heart out. That's really why I come here, right? Jesus is already in me before I came and he'll be here when I leave. May as well come for the entertainment value and to see my friends. I can read the Bible anytime on my own so the Liturgy of the Word is irrelevant too.

I used to be one of these CINOs. I came to realize I was more Protestant, heck, even more Evangelical then I was Catholic. If I am the church I can set my own rules right? If I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ what does it matter what church I belong to? Why should I go to any church at all? I have my own relationship with Jesus. It's nice to be with my buddies though.

When Jesus is only the community of the "faithful" to you and nothing else what will happen when you die? What if all your "faithful" buddies aren't there? What if its a bunch of strangers, angels, Mary, saints and the Trinity? Would you be happy with that?

Is the mere act of just saying: "I Love You and I Believe in You" enough? How many marriages have broken up despite the fact that they loved? Is love only enough? No, it takes effort and work. Don't married people want to be worthy of their spouse? My parents were married for 30 years (until my Mom's death), they worked every day at being worthy of the others love. How many guys have told me: They loved me but did not really. Did they show it? Did they work at it? No. As a single woman aren't I in essence wedded to the Church and to Christ. I may not have taken vows like a nun but I have my end to uphold in the relationship just as much as they do.



One-sided dialogue at the Pearly Gates:

"Man, you are a cool dude and all but you mean I have to spend the rest of eternity face to face with you?"
"Can I just hang out with my friends in a green valley and drink beer?"
"What do you mean they aren't all here?"
"I thought all who professed to believe in you would be here"
"What do you mean many, but not, all?"
"Wait, come back"
"Uh-oh, is it hot in here or just me?"

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Wow Cathy - you nailed that one! And please do more "truthful parody" like the pearly gates conversation LOL!!!

December 01, 2006 11:53 PM  
Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

Oh, yeah. You definitely hit that one spot-on! I cry for the people who profess what you describe. I was one once, but maybe not in exactly the same way, and I pray to God I never end up there again.

But for the grace of God...there go all of us.

December 02, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

I always felt it quite presumptuous to say "we are Jesus." Has a real "ick" factor to it somehow.

December 03, 2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Why bother with worrying about being in a State of Grace and obtaining Sacramental Confession and receiving Jesus properly disposed if He's in you all the time?

Yep, you truly did nail it, Cathy. THAT attitude is precisely why there are so few folks who go to Confession any more--yet the "whole gang" receives Communion, without a second thought to what is actually happening (and what harm they are doing to their soul in committing the sacrilege).

December 03, 2006 2:25 PM  
Anonymous eliztrin said...

Nicely done. I can add a few scriptural references...
The sheep and the goats: “Lord, when did I see you hungry and feed you?” (Matthew 25)
Jesus: “Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.” (Matt 7:21)
And of course, the epitome:
"Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.” (Jn 6:53)

December 04, 2006 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page