November 03, 2006

Personal Saints

Jimmy Akin has a post on the forbidden practice of some Catholic parishes adding people that they personally feel SHOULD be saints to the church's list of canonized saints during their All Saints Masses.

I have attended more Masses, then I care to admit, where the practice of assigning whoever is "cool" to the Litany of Saints is done. It was one the things that made me go "hmmmm" on my journey back to authentic Catholicism.

As far-gone into dissent as I was I was certainly able to recognize that Mahatma Ghandi may have been a great man but he was not even a Catholic, nor was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Fr. Mychal Judge may have been a hero for dying while giving last rites to people in NYC at the World Trade Center but he has not been recognized by the Church as a saint. Bob Marley has some great music but he was a Rastafarian.

The Catholic Saints may not have always lead perfect lives but there are criteria for official sainthood. In (extreme summary!) summary, it requires evidence of heroic virtue and miracles.

I pray that my deceased relatives are enjoying the Beatific Vision like a Saint. But, I accept the fact that I don't know that for sure. I pray that they may be accepted into the membership of the Church Triumphant, if they are not already, but I have no right as a faithful Catholic to stand up in Church and call them Saint or Blessed and demand they be recognized as such by all the faithful.

The Catholic church does very serious and careful research into the causes of Canonization, and rightly so. I don't think we should belittle the care taken in that process by the Congregation for the Causes of Saints when we decide on our own, without the benefit of meticulous research and investigation, that our loved ones or people whose political or social positions we liked are official members of the Communion of Saints.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

My, Oh My!

I thought that I had read-heard-seen just about everything. But not that.

But now that I think about it, those who don't believe in sin, or frankly, much of anything, would find it easy to have everybody make it to Heaven.

Even if I know relatives or people I think deserve not much more than a few months of Purgatory, I sure wouldn't be so presumptuous as to announce to the world that they were Saints ("capital S").

November 03, 2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

You know...what I can't understand...is why I'm not on that list? "St. Julie the long-winded...praaaay for us.."

:-)

Seriously, though...I'm sincerely happy I have never heard of such a practice. Bob MARLEY???????!

November 03, 2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

St. Angelaaaaa Messengerrrrrrrr. pra-a-a-ay for uuuuuuuuuus. LOL

If "St." Oprah and "St." Dr. Phil ever make the list - I will throttle the cantor myself!

November 03, 2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Exactly! Once you start assigning your own saints, why NOT add yourself?

November 06, 2006 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page