November 21, 2006

Gift Recommendation

If you have a hunter or a fisherman (or a huntress or a fisherwoman) on your gift list who enjoys reading I recommend: Hunting for God, Fishing for the Lord by Fr. Joseph F. Classen.

Father Classen does a really good job of expressing the beauty and awesomeness of God's creation. He also does a good job of explaining WHY a person would choose to hunt or fish and WHY hunting and fishing are acceptable pursuits.

Father also works Catholic teachings into the chapters. He talks about the Church's teachings on abortion, contraception, marriage, grace, sin, confession and redemption. You have to read the book to "get" how he manages to jump from talking turkey hunting into discussing abortion. It works.

It's not a "heavy" book. It's very conversational. In fact, it's almost like Father Classen's giving a homily in each chapter to a parish full of sportsmen. He starts out with the hunting or fishing story and then he segues into Catholic teaching.

My quibbles are two (1) His proofreader missed some spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, (2) I wish Father spoke about the moment(s) he decided to become a priest.

I don't think one has to be Catholic to enjoy this book. Father's entries on his various hunting and fishing disasters are funny and, occasionally, scary. A favorite is the entry about his trip back to his deer stand in Chapter 9. This passage had my Dad and I roaring when I read it aloud at the dinner table during deer hunting season. Any sportsman can relate to the trip when everything goes wrong thanks to your own incompetence.

Another favorite is his account of chasing a turkey in Chapter 15. I give Father Classen mad props for even writing this particular passage for public consumption.

I bought my Dad a copy too. I think this would be a good book to give the sporting person you know, who is not Catholic, some exposure to Catholic teaching.

Father Classen is a priest at St. Margaret Mary Alacoque in St. Louis, Missouri. Father has a website for the book that includes order information.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

I've ordered the book! Thanks for the heads up!

November 21, 2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: Let me know what you think of it!

November 22, 2006 11:49 AM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

I will!

November 23, 2006 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page