November 08, 2006

Election Blues

Some results are still coming in, but, it looks like a lot of Pro-Death candidates won. There are a couple of bright spots. In Minnesota, Tim Pawlenty retained the Governorship and Michele Bachmann is going to Congress. Pro-lifers should watch Governor Pawlenty closely because he recently expressed support for embryonic stem cell research during a debate with his opponents. His revelation was a surprise to me and many others.

According to the Argus Leader (Sioux Falls), the Abortion referendum in South Dakota failed 56%/44%. No word on if anyone plans to bring it forward again with better wording.

It looks like all of the nationwide traditional marriage amendments passed-including the one in Wisconsin.

I think we need to ask ourselves,(again!) why are so many Roman Catholics NOT voting the faith they profess to believe in? I think Bishops and Priests must start, if they have not already, preaching the truth from the pulpit. NOT just tell everyone that everything is great. NOT just telling us Jesus Loves Us every week. NOT just telling us what we want to hear, but what we NEED to hear. We, as Catholics, need to start being more aggressive with the dissenting Catholics that we know and tell them they are wrong. Our clergy leaders can't do it alone, they need our help.

My Dad, Wayne LaDuke, was just elected Mayor of Cass Lake, Minnesota!!! Pray for him, will you? He has a lot of work to do in the areas of economic development, budget cutting and crime fighting.

To my sharp-eyed readers: I may as well come-out since I just announced my Dad's name. You can call me Janice or Cathy.

Update
(November 9, 5:53 a.m. CT) It's still too close to call, but Arizona newspapers are reporting that the traditional marriage amendment may FAIL in Arizona.

9 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Hi Janice or Cathy!

November 08, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: Hi yourself! Ok, you know what I meant!

November 08, 2006 10:23 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Is there a "St Janice?"

We know that there is a St Catherine of Alexandria memorialized forever in that great painting by Caravaggio you have in your header. So on this fine blog, you'll always be Cathy to me!

Kudos and Congrats to your Dad!

In small towns when you have to cut budgets, there's generally not a lot of fat. Somebody will be howling quickly.

November 08, 2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

"Is there a St. Janice?"

I'm working on it.

Let's just say, I'm counting on all of my Catholic friends to say lots of Prayers for my Soul after I'm gone.

November 08, 2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger :o) said...

Our wonderful priests often do speak about the grave evil of abortion and other life issues. It is shocking how many parishioners avoid them afterwards. We always go thank them for speaking out.

I'd like to hand them the catechism and remind them it is our faith, not a menu.

November 08, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Our Word said...

Many congratulations to your father. Anyone in politics today needs our prayers!

Mitchell

November 08, 2006 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janice, I have just recently heard of this and could be no more proud than you. You and I have met a few times, and I know you father well...There could be no better man for the job, as I know no one cares for Cass Lake more than he. My prayers have been with him and always will - as well as with you.
Scott Studer

November 11, 2006 11:18 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Scott: S'up?! I'm happy to hear from you! Say hi to your Mom and brother for me. Oh, and your Dad too! But, I usually hear from your Dad via my Dad or your Grandma fairly often.

November 13, 2006 8:02 AM  
Anonymous Fr Seán Coyle said...

http://www.weddingvendors.com/baby-names/meaning/janice says that the name Janice is Hebrew in origin, that it’s a form of Jane and means ‘God is gracious’.

November 15, 2006 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page