November 10, 2006

Caravaggio Copy is the Real Thing



Deep curtsy to Ray who alerted me to the news that a Caravaggio in the collection of the Queen of England is not a copy as previously believed. It's the original. The painting Calling of Saints Peter and Andrew will be on display next year as part of the The Art of Italy exhibition. The Art of Italy will be at Buckingham Palace from March 30, 2007, until January 20, 2008, before moving to The Queen’s Gallery, Palace of Holyroodhouse, in Edinburgh, from April 2008.

"Oh, To be In England Now that April's there..."

If the QUEEN has items in her collection that are erroneously perceived as copies; I bet that Gauguin print I have must be the real thing! Really, if it takes over 100 years for a paintings pedigree to be confirmed in the Royal Household, just think of what treasures some of the rest of us could have lying around!

I knew I should have taken some stuff for appraisal to the Fall Festival and Booya at St. Agnes! Oh well, maybe I can visit Antiques Roadshow the next time they are in town...

The Times (London) has the story

2 Comments:

Blogger Georgette said...

Ooo, that is an interesting thought!! We could have masterpieces right under our own noses! :o)

November 12, 2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Hey! Alert me, Cathy, to next year's "Fall Festival and Booya" at St Agnes.

I've got a few items that I would like somebody to look at. I don't think they are possible Caravaggios, but some are old and obscure, at least. One woodcut, a pen & ink drawing and a few prints.

November 12, 2006 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page