October 20, 2006

Why I am a Catholic

Too much negativity is not a good thing. I think many of the Catholic blogs and forums that I love and read regularly are too negative. Is there anything good to say about the church? Would you know it by reading the most popular Catholic blogs on a regular basis? Many of which are in my sidebar links?

I'm as guilty of talking about the problems of the Faith in as a bad of a light as anyone. But, this week with the documentary film "Deliver Us From Evil" opening in town and the interview of the alleged abuser of Mr. Foley by Katie Couric I need some positive faith news in my life.

I don't always blog about the faith or even about me. I don't always feel like it. I like to mix it up. No one wants to read the same thing all the time. Especially, about the negative things. Yes, the dissenters are everywhere and, yes, there are problems but get over it already. Really, if I want to read negative stories about Catholicism all the time, I'll resubscribe to the National Catholic Reporter.

Is there really a difference between the "dissenting" Catholics and the "magisterium" Catholics when you consider their volume of negative church writings? I think an argument could be made that anyone exploring Catholicism reading too much of this blah, blah, everything is bad (from either the left or right perspective) angst is going to say: "Forget it, I'll go be a Wiccan or I'll just remain the agnostic or I'll stay in my Protestant denomination". Too much anger, too much opposition within, too much lack of agreement on what this or that document really says, too much of a lack of mercy towards my fellow Catholics, too much nitpicking.

Why I am a Catholic. Please, don't read Garry Wills book of the same name. I did and 400 pages and two discussions by the author later I still don't know why he's a Catholic. My guess is that he sells more books being disgruntled then happy. Do Catholic bloggers get more readers by being disgruntled then being happy? I think you could make a case for it.

My Top Three Reasons:

1) I have the opportunity to receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ at every Holy Mass
2) The Sacrament of Confession
3) The Catholic church is the church directly instituted by the Christ

Yours?

P.S. I know that this is not my most organized or coherent post. But, I needed to get this out quickly.

8 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Cathy....I am not linked in your sidebar so I hope you consider me a positive Catholic (grin!)

When I get down about all the moaning and groaning (on BOTH sides) then I just think of what Father says during Mass..."Look not on our sins but on THE FAITH OF OUR CHURCH."

When I am kneeling in thanksgiving after Communion that is what it is all about - LOVING JESUS. Not asking Him for anything, not saying my theology is better than my neighbour...it's about JESUS.

Going to tackle this topic more in depth over at my blog too.God bless you!

October 20, 2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Hey Cathy,

I am a cradle Catholic and wasn't until later in life that I really appreciated the Catholic Church and Catholic Faith.

I don't know if you saw this when I posted it, but I love this video because it is perfect to explain why I am Catholic.

October 20, 2006 9:45 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

The easy answer is that "I was baptized and educated as a Catholic."

But I dropped out, not to go anyplace else, just out of laziness, for 23 years after high school.

And I came back. Not because of pressure from anybody. My family didn't really know that I was gone as they didn't see me most Sundays and I faked it on the Sundays that I was with them, driving myself further into Mortal Sin.

I am a Catholic because God kept calling me back.

I dabbled heavily in New Age things, I read heavily in books that were supposed to tell me "who I was and why was I here."

And then one day I got up and started going to Mass on Sundays and then a few weeks later I attended a retreat where I went to Confession for the first time in those 23 years.

And I wasn't perfect. I had to re-educate myself. I still was a sinner, but God kept nudging me, sometimes with pleasant reminders that He was there. But I'm weak. I backslid a lot. I wasn't good.

But I knew where I should be and I experimented with different things and books, still climbing back to the Church.

And God kept reminding me.

And I'm still a sinner and have problems and have a long way to go.

I'm now at a point where I am not just listening to God occasionally. I'm sure He was always talking. I wasn't always listening.

Now I am actually talking to God on a regular basis and listening for answers.

Because I still need His help. I can't do it without Him.

That's why I am Catholic. He is there for me and I have grown to really love Him for the first time. And I have grown to depend upon Him.

I can't conceive of living without Him as He has revealed Himself to me in the Roman Catholic Church.

October 20, 2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

You inspired me and I posted on it today.

I agree with you and I've gotten away myself from the negativity, preferring to talk about the more positive things of being Catholic, although I'm sure there'll be a bit of negativity I'll have to post on at some point.

I will ALWAYS defend the Church, though, from outside attack, and as a necessity, those posts tend to be negative as the subject is negative, but I think it's important to keep a message of hope and peace in those cases. Sometimes very hard to do.

God bless!

October 22, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

cathy - great post - amen, amen.
I would add a 4th reason - the Pope - I'm a papist.

October 22, 2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thank you everyone who commented. Terry, I was going to put the Pope on my list but I wanted to keep it to 3 items! I'm glad you mentioned the Holy Father. Angela: You are on my blogroll: under Signs of Blog Addiction. I don't consider your blog a negative one!

October 23, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger IR said...

Ummm....

I converted at 16. I was confirmed and recieved into the church on my birthday. I didn't know exactly why. but The mass, the liturgy of hours, the witness of Religious all worked together.

Then I left the church and Jesus. I couldn't reconcile what I saw with what I knew . I decided that this couldn't be the church Christ founded. But I knew he didn't found the others. I apostacized.

Then, 15 years later I woke up one Sunday, and Knew that I was a sinful, selfish and lost man, and that God loved me and wanted me to come back.

So I went back, and the wonder of the Eucharist holds me, in spite of my attachment to sin, my faults and the wierdness that can be found in the Church.

Why am I Catholic? Gods love for me manifest in the physical prescence of his Son, under the accidents of bread and wine, found in every tabernacle in every church in the world, where I am welcome to visit him, to even recieve him in communion, despite who and what I am. Because He made me to know him, and love him, and he knows and loves me.

October 23, 2006 3:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

ir: Welcome Home!

October 23, 2006 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page