October 09, 2006

What This Blog is Not

There's that Holy Spirit at work again! I feel compelled to write this post today, right now.

Some of you know, or have gleaned over time, that I used to be a member of St. Joan of Arc (SJA) in Minneapolis. I was member of that parish for most of my life. Nearly 20 years, in fact. I was the third generation of my family to attend SJA. My parents were married there. However, it's certain my maternal grandparents, or even my parents, would not recognize SJA now. Most of you have probably read about St. Joan's notariety elsewhere.

You won't read it here. I am certainly capable of doing an inside expose of the inner workings of SJA. But, I don't want to.

If St. Joan's had been closed down and the ground sewn with salt 5 years ago where would I be? I would probably not be a Catholic. I would not be who I am today or where I am today.

I think what SJA needs is a strong dose of authentic Catholic education. They are not getting it now. If, after that point, or at the point of Catholic education being offered, individuals walk away that is their choice.

However, I'm not convinced that a completely, unmerciful, throw-em-out now, response is the correct response.

3 Comments:

Blogger Geometricus said...

Oddly enough, I agree with you. Four or five years ago I would not have. I would have been among the salt-sprinklers had they closed down SJA then. And I have no connection whatsoever with SJA. I am a choir director at a semi-large suburban parish but I love going to St. Agnes and Nativity and Holy Family in St. Louis Park...so you see I have no love for the so-called "progressives." But I have to admit I was attracted to the liberal side of the Catholic Church when I converted in 1982. I soon got some good doses of Catholic education thanks to the National Catholic Register and EWTN. But it took a long time for me to get to St. Agnes after that, and then even to develop a taste for *gasp* the Wanderer...whoa I was even a subscriber for a while.

I still warn my kids (all six of them) about places like SJA, but really they would be horrified at the aberrations I've heard about going on there...yet I can't help but think they would actually pity the people who go there when they compare the relative liturgical and spiritual riches they enjoy at their more orthodox parish.

Yet there must be a reason the bishops have not closed it down over the years. I guess SJA is better for the sinner than no parish at all.

October 09, 2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Excellent post Cathy.
I myself have been pretty critical of SJA but you are right...I think the best thing they could do is to replace the Pas toral staff with people who will teach the true faith.
Thanks for reminding all of us what our faith calls us to do.
Chris

October 10, 2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Excellent post Cathy.
I myself have been pretty critical of SJA but you are right...I think the best thing they could do is to replace the Pas toral staff with people who will teach the true faith.
Thanks for reminding all of us what our faith calls us to do.
Chris

October 10, 2006 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page