October 16, 2006

Happy to Be a Layperson

I'm listening to an 1997 talk of Fr. John Corapi's on Relevant Radio. Fr. Corapi said something that really resonated with me: "You should be as happy to be a layperson as I am to be a priest!"

Am I?

I feel ho-hum, such is life, most of the time. By all accounts, I'm supposed to strive to be a saint. I'm sure doing poorly in my mission.

I'm frequently separated from God by personal sin. God moves away from me a little bit. Sure, he's probably just outside the door. But, he's not inside me. He's watching but not so close I can touch him. How do I know this? No, theological or scientific study needed. I can feel it. I sense when He is away. Just like you can feel it when anyone you love is away.

Confession is so important. When I make a good Confession, I feel God come back. Do I actually see him? No. But, I KNOW it. I KNOW He's back. There is nothing in the world like that sense of relief when you tell the Lord you are sorry. Don't we all feel a sense of relief when we apologize to a parent or a loved one when we have wronged them?

I wish the local church offered Confession more frequently. It's hard to get back into a state of Grace as fast as I would like when I have to wait a week to find a Confession time that my work schedule will allow. It would be easier if EVERY parish had regular Confession times daily. Then, every Catholic could find a parish near their place of work, school or home with a convenient Confession time.

I know priests always say you can call them any time to schedule a private Confession. I'm not comfortable doing that. I prefer the anonymity. I want God to know it's me, but not necessarily the Priest.

For the laypeople out there: Are you joyful in your vocation as a layperson?

I'm joyful as a layperson when:
* I'm in a state of Grace.
* I'm in conversation with God (either during Adoration or other times of prayer).
* I'm at Holy Mass.

The other stuff of life is just not as important to me. They don't make me as happy as the occasions when I'm one with the Lord.

7 Comments:

Blogger Angela Messenger said...

I think as women we sometimes get caught up in the feelings aspect of our relationship with God and sometimes we over-analyze things. At the same time I can't even pretend to know you Cathy so I can't offer any advice. I just wrote that first sentence because I was having this very conversation with someone yesterday.

Sometimes we have to fake it until we make it.

I fail continually in my journey to God but once in awhile He gives me a glimpse of justhowcloseHeis ....check out the Miraculous Medal story on my blog.

I will pray for you at Adoration this morning at 11AM Pacific time.

October 16, 2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: Thank you for your prayers!

October 16, 2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

You are very welcome!

October 16, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Wonderful post, Cathy!

Sounds to me like a project for making a list of all the parishes that offer daily confessions. I don't know how many there are, but I'm sure there are more than a few.

It could be given it's own blog with just a few posts with little updating required once it was completed.

Lists of parishes and times.

Some Examinations of Conscience and Examens

Some images of the Cure' of Ars (St John Vianney), St Pio (Padre Pio), and other renowned Confessors.

The Divine Mercy Chaplet

Sacred Heart of Jesus Chaplet

First Friday and First Saturday and Fatima Devotions

Plenary Indulgence Opportunities and Requirements

List of Shrines within easy drive time from our region

(Keep it to ten so that they can easily be chosen from the sidebar list).

Get all the bloggers and web page owners in the area to make links to it. Have parishes promote it in their bulletins and web pages.

(It got an awful lot more complicated as I thought it out, didn't it?) Getting a good name for it might be the toughest part.

October 17, 2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Good idea. I'll help you. It's definitely not a solo gig!

October 17, 2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I'm in need of confession right now. I have to work this Saturday when parish wide confession is offered. I called my priest today for an appointment for confession but I only left a voicemail and he hasn't returned my call.
I did have a priest move in a couple days ago. I feel awkward confessing to him, though. He is like a roommate. I should prolly ignore this feeling and just do it.
Hmmm.

October 19, 2006 4:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Tim: I can appreciate that you like to go to a regular Confessor. I do too. But and urgent need is an urgent need..

October 19, 2006 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page