October 05, 2006

Cathy_of_Alex in Ecstacy


St. Catherine of Alexandria by Bernardo Strozzi

This evening I went to see A Passion for Paintings: Old Masters from the Wadsworth Atheneum at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA).

Wonderful, awesome, beautiful!!

I HIGHLY recommend this exhibition if you have any interest in Italian Baroque, Italian Renaissance and religious oil paintings

I was beside myself. I may even see it again and buy an exhibition catalogue. I've been an MIA member for 16 years and I've never even thought about buying an exhibition catalogue.

A seafaring painting by Turner, a landscape by Gainsborough, 2 paintings of my patron saint, Catherine of Alexandria, that I'd never heard of, a Caravaggio of St. Francis in Ecstacy (It was great but The Taking of Christ remains my favorite Caravaggio), 2 paintings of the Holy Family, numerous examples of Caravaggio's influence, paintings from Greek and Roman mythology, scenes of Rome, several paintings of saints: including one of St. Ursula that was very powerful.

The exhibition is at the MIA until January 7, 2007. Information on the show is here

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

The "ecstasy" was before she heard you type THOSE words!

October 06, 2006 3:42 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Great likeness of ya, Cathy! :)

I LOVE the colors--beautiful!

God bless!
Georgette

October 08, 2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

Hey! I wanna go see the exhibit, but I don't know many people who are into art...are you interested in going again with another Catholic friend? :-)

October 08, 2006 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page