October 28, 2006

All Fools Day

Costume Party Time is upon us and with it comes the arrival of the buffoon who thinks it's funny to dress as a Roman Catholic clergy or religious. You know the ones. They dress like a priest and think it's funny to go around the room, blessing everyone, genuflecting and crossing themselves. Or, they dress like a nun and walk around with a Rosary and a ruler pretending to beat everyone. They are usually anti-Catholics, non-Catholics or former-Catholics. They like to set the room roaring with their tales of how they "survived" the Church or what they think the Catholic church teaches.

This is not the time to ask them to step outside so you can administer a sound lashing. No matter how much you may be tempted. We are trying to be Christians here.

How do you respond to these fools?

*Ignore them
*Look them straight in the eye and tell them you are offended
*Educate them or refute them in a calm manner
*Leave and tell the host why

I've been to many parties were these clowns present themselves. I was at one a few years ago, where I was dressed all in white and had a white cape with a hood, white wig, white shoes, white gloves, white make-up. I was a ghost-o.k.? Well, some anti-Catholic dope (after he had already told his "survival" story) said I looked like Our Lady of Grace. That was certainly not my intent. In any case, I must have looked pretty mean because he fell into fearful silence and avoided me the rest of the evening.

I have no problem with people who dress up as their favorite Saint with the intent of respecting that Saint, learning about them and teaching others. I know a lot of Catholic parents do this with their kids.

What I have a problem with is the folks who think they can use the opportunity to ridicule something they barely understand. I also have a problem with the Catholics who smile wanly and say nothing or play along with it. And then they can't understand why they feel bad when they go home. "You just participated in ridiculing the Lord. You denied Him. Of course, you feel guilty"

If enough Catholics start speaking up, perhaps we can rid the world of these particular "costumes"

6 Comments:

Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

Last year I dressed as a nun. I considered carrying a crucifix and roses (St. Therese of Lisieux) but I doubt many people would have "gotten" it. I did have fun with the costume, and I did actually have the opportunity to discuss with a non-denom (or Baptist?) co-worker the Bible I was carrying around with my rosary.

It was funny...he wouldn't touch my rosary. It was sitting on my Bible on my desk, and he used a pen to push it aside enough so he could read the edition.

He also asked a few questions as to how I put the costume together as it came out looking pretty authentic.

My manager is Catholic, and he's one of those buffoons you mention...he thinks it's funny for a couple to go as a priest and a pregnant nun. It discusts me.

I will likely not dress up this year at all. Not sure. I always make a last-minute decision on this.

October 28, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Personally my favorite costume is a witch...I am not quite sure why. I have NO interest in the occult, etc. Maybe it's the pointy hat and the fact that black is slimming?

October 29, 2006 1:06 AM  
Anonymous Will Moore SFO said...

Really, I think one needs to look at the setting of a costume party. At such parties no one is acting as who they really are. If this is the case, then it would seem to get seriously offended about someone who is simply play-acting is an unfitting gesture for such a costume party.

October 29, 2006 1:16 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

I disagree. When is the last time you saw someone dressed as a Hasidic Jew, a Muslim Cleric or an Amish person?

Most people would not dress as one of the above for fear of offending someone-and rightly so.

My point is: most people think nothing of ridiculing or offending a Catholic or the Catholic church.

October 29, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger :o) said...

A woman dressed up at work as a pregnant nun. When someone asked her, "What happened to you?" she said, "Father Joseph.."

Believe me, I spoke up. It is highly offensive to the millions of women over centuries who unselfishly served God, who have taken vows of poverty, obedience and yes, chastity; sisters who have educated and healed millions.

November 01, 2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Good for you, Child of Mary! It bothers me how thoughtless people can be. What was she thinking?

November 01, 2006 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page