September 14, 2006

The Pope and the Witch-Activism Alert!

I TRY, the Lord knows how much I try, to be a Lady but sometimes things happen that set my passions off in a bad direction.

Yesterday evening, Ray from MN, sent me an email about a play that the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities has scheduled for March 2007.

Ray has the story.

I have not read this play by Mr. Fo. There are copies available on Amazon for $70. I don't even spend $70/month to have my household garbage hauled so I'm not about to spend $70 on this trash.

Free speech is fine but I think this play is crossing the line into "hate speech". Gee, where's the ACLU when you want them? Probably, gearing up to defend the U's right to stage it.

Ray, has all the info on who to contact. I will be writing. Please join me.

Here are a couple of links to reviews of this play:

http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?_r=1&res=990DE2DC163AF93BA25756C0A9669C8B63&oref=slogin

http://director.goluxstudio.com/pope/yale-herald-review.html

In my dissenting days, I disagreed with the Church in many ways and I was often frustrated with its leadership (some days I still am) but I was never this blatently disrespectful. Nor, did I think it was acceptable when I saw people who were hateful towards clergy or religious.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Thanks, Cathy!

This is very great that we have got alerted almost six months ahead of time. The university will be hard to convince. But with prayer and hard work, we will stop them.

I stood by when obscene and sacrilegious art events occurred in NYC because I was not there. Well, this is scheduled at my alma mater. I am committed to making sure that it will not take place.

September 14, 2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

the catholic league is on the case too...
check out www.catholicleague.org

September 14, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger Sister Mary Martha said...

You know, as an old lady I have realized that any time you are railing about a play you are pretty much barking up the wrong tree.

For one thing, no one sees plays. Really. The ticket price alone keeps most folks away and the idea of seeing a 'play' keeps out everyone else.

And besides no one would even know about the play if no one bothered to talk about it let alone rail against it.

This is America. We distrust art.

September 15, 2006 1:33 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Sr: This is America and I agree that there is a segment of our population that "distrusts" art and never bothers to attend plays.

However, there is a large segment of the populace that loves art and attends a lot of plays-myself included.

I think it's important to for us as Catholics to start openly fighting anti-Catholicism whenever we see it, whether we intend to attend or not.

September 15, 2006 7:29 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Hey, Cathy, thanks for the comment you posted on my blog. Appreciate the support.

September 15, 2006 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page