September 01, 2006

Labor Day-Fly a Flag

Many of us have a 3-day weekend starting tomorrow. Rather, then spending the entire weekend with family, watching NASCAR, eating and sleeping (ok, that's my usual Labor Day weekend!) please join me in taking the opportunity to reflect on what Labor Day really means.

I'm putting my librarian bun in my hair and my glasses on.....

I recommend you take a few minutes out of your weekend to read Paragraphs 2426-2436 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church 2nd edition

Also, the Department of Labor has a good, brief, overview of the History of Labor Day: http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

Now that you have read, I want to give you something to consider...

Fly your U.S. flag on Labor Day. If you don't already have a U.S. flag, consider buying one. Patriot Day, which marks the 5th anniversary of the Sept 11th attacks is a little more then a week away. Fly your flag 2 September Mondays in a row. One, in gratitude for the struggles and the efforts of your fellow workers, the other to remember the dead and show your pride in our nation's resilience.

Owning and flying a flag is a serious responsibility. Please remember to treat your flag with respect. An overview of displaying, storing and destroying your flag is here: http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

If you have a flag that is tattered and worn, do NOT throw it in the trash or burn it. Contact your local American Legion, Veteran of Foreign Wars or Boy and Girl Scout troops, many of whom have ceremonies to properly dispose of your flag.

Whatever you do this weekend, be safe, and don't take a break from the Lord!

I will not be blogging until Tuesday, Sept. 5th. I will be busy enjoying the hospitality of my family and the people of the state of Illinois.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I fly my American flag all year-round.

In one of the churches I attend, they actually allow you to drop off old tattered flags in the narthex...and they will dispose of them properly....

I hope you had a good labor day weekend!

September 04, 2006 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page