August 24, 2006

The Recovering Dissident Catholic



My name is Cathy_of_Alex and I am a Recovering Dissident Catholic.

What do I mean? With the exception of a short stint in a cultish church, I am, allegedly, a life-long Roman Catholic. I was raised by Roman Catholic parents who are descended from generations of Roman Catholics. I went to Catholic church on Sundays with my parents. I received (most) of the Sacraments of Initiation. I was enrolled in CCD. I went to two Catholic institutions of higher learning.

Yet, despite all this, I was a dissident Catholic, a dissenting Catholic, most, if not all, of my life thus far. I was a "cafeteria" Catholic in a sense. Although, honestly, I did not know enough Catholicism to choose from the full buffet. So, perhaps even "cafeteria Catholic" is being too generous.

I am still in "recovery" from my dissident days. I'm still discovering, learning and accepting the "legs" of our Faith: Scripture, Tradition, Magisterium. Like many in established recovery groups, I'm hiding behind an alias, for now.

Do you ever hear someone who has left the Catholic church say that they are a "recovering" Catholic? I have. They mean that it was so terrible being a Catholic that they seek healing.

Similarly, I seek healing, recovery, if you will, from being a dissident Catholic.

I am not going to bore you with my entire life story in the first post. No, Gentle Reader, if you want to learn more, stick around.

My reversion, no, I can't even say that since I don't think I ever was a true Catholic. My awakening to the Truth was not like the story of Saul on the road to Damascus. It was not one day, one moment, it was a gradual process, lots of days, lots of moments.

Catholic media (Relevant Radio, EWTN, CA forums and blogs) played a HUGE role in my journey. If you are a reading this and you are using the power of today's media to express the Catholic faith, be assured that you make a difference. Thank you.

Why am I starting this blog? I hope that this blog will, over time, help others like me find their way home. I hope that this blog will help you reach the disenchanted, the fallen away, the non-members, reach the dissident with the "language" of the dissenter.

11 Comments:

Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

Well it's about time girl! Glad to see you finally taking wing and going public as a Catholic.

And for the record, you are much further along in your recovery than you think!

God bless you!

August 24, 2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Welcome to St Blog's Parish, Cathy_of_Alex! It's great to see you here.

You're off to a great start. I look forward to having you at the top of my blogroll.

I feel honored to be your first guest. I'll be back, not like Arnold, but as a fellow revert, I learn from others like us to complete my healing and reversion.

August 24, 2006 8:09 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Hey Cathy - I was a lapsed Catholic in the pew!

Welcome home and welcome to Catholic blogging!

August 24, 2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

I am a revert as well! I think that anybody who has gone thru the really lousy, totally lacking catechetical training that is offered in Catholic Schools and parish CCD programs for the last 40 years, is. It is God's grace that brings us back, searching and FINDING the Truth where it was all along, in the Holy Catholic Church! Welcome back home, Cathy! :)

August 25, 2006 7:47 AM  
Blogger Julie D. said...

Hi Cathy! Welcome to St. Blog's. I look forward to reading the rest of the story!

August 25, 2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Hi Cathy! I am also a thanful revert. If you want to read my conversion story it can be found here:
http://angelamessenger.blogspot.com/2006/03/story-of-my-soul.html

August 25, 2006 9:00 PM  
Blogger bearing said...

Nice to see another local Catholic blog. I'll be reading...

August 25, 2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Welcome home

August 30, 2006 2:46 AM  
Blogger Maryellen said...

I was baptized Catholic in 1928, went to Catholic school through the 8th grade, married a faithful Catholic boy. One day I woke up in my 40's and realized I wasn't even a Christian, let alone Catholic. I left the church, my marriage and went my own perilous way.

I love your blog because even when I did return to the Church in 1976, I was a dissident, and I can relate so much to your posts.

I've visited your blog previously, but tonight decided to go the first post, and follow the whole story, and leave a comment here. I'm so happy for you and me that we found our true home.

February 17, 2008 10:20 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Maryellen: Praised Be Jesus Christ! Yes, I know the journey back can be tough and long but I've found great peace since I embraced the fullness of the Faith. I hope you have too. Welcome! I will remember you in my evening prayers.

February 18, 2008 6:37 PM  
Blogger Maryellen said...

Oh yes, dear heart, I've found Peace and so much growth. I'm fully on board with the Magisterium, Tradition and I love the Scriptures.

May God continue to Bless you and yours. All Praise and Glory to God.

February 18, 2008 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page