August 28, 2006

Love and Pray

Do you ever have one of those days where everything and everyone seem to be trying to tell you something? It has to be the Holy Spirit. What a day.

Lately, I have been feeling like I'm teetering on the cusp of "holier than thou". I mean, now, that I've been this ultra knowledgeable super-Catholic for a whopping year, I deserve to be righteous, correct?

BAM, WRONG, GO STRAIGHT TO THE BACK OF THE LINE, RECITE THE LITANY OF HUMILITY 10 TIMES AND COME BACK.

I find myself losing control of my eyes and watching other people a lot. Ray from MN told me recently that he sits toward the front of the church so he does not get distracted and irritated by others. You know the ones: the late-comers, the talkers, the inappropriately dressed, the people who leave early.

I find myself getting really irked. I try not to look around but focus on God. When I see something that makes me mad, I try to pray for my anger to pass. It does not always work.

Something really set me off today. It did not happen in church. The "Womenpriests, " yes, them, are supposedly coming to the Twin Cities in September. Those defamers, those violators etc. etc.

I feel like I have absolutely no business being irritated. A year or two ago, I probably would have been at their ceremony in the front row! Go, my sisters! Show those old, out-of-touch, white men how enlightened you are!

So, I did something after work today. I went to Mass.

I went to the 5:15 at St. Agnes. St. Agnes is not my regular parish. St. Andrew is. But, occasionally, I go to St. Agnes for Devotions, Confession or Mass. St. Andrew does not have a regular evening Mass during the week.

I'm sitting there and it was like all 3 readings today were selected for me. I don't mean to be selfish, but, dang.

Fr. Welzbacher had an excellent homily. I swear he looked right at me at 2 points. The first was when he said: "Augustine said: If St. Stephen had not prayed for Paul, Paul would never have converted" The second was when he said: "If you have friends or family who have left the church, pray for them" When Father was in the Sacristy did the Angel of the Lord tap him on the shoulder and say: "Psst, hey, Father, see that woman in the 5th row? Here's what you are going to say." It was just like that.

I've been so judgemental about others that I've forgotten I was "the others". St. Augustine was a dawg before he converted. Wine, women, song, but he loved his Momma. His Momma, St. Monica, never stopped praying for her sons conversion. Eventually, her prayers were answered.

I need to do more praying and less judging. If I can come back so can anybody else.

One thing I've noticed, if you wear your chapel veil far enough forward it acts as a blinder for the side view!

5 Comments:

Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

Hey, is this post directed at me?

I know EXACTLY what you are saying, and yes, the veil DOES help!

August 28, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: LOL!

August 28, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

Count me in as another one suffering from spiritual pride. The more I know the worse it gets. Don't worry though - the Lord ALWAYS finds a way to humble us if we don't catch ourselves.

August 28, 2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Do ya s'pose people would look at me funny if I started to wear a veil?

Or maybe those horse blinders to keep me looking straight ahead?

August 29, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: I'm not sure white or black would be flattering. Perhaps, something in a lovely cream color would look good on you.

August 29, 2006 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page