August 26, 2006

5 People in 5 Categories

Adoro Te Devote tagged me for a meme. I thought this would be easier than blogging today. Ha!

Five People in Five Categories
Instructions: "If you could meet and have a deep conversation with any five people on earth, living or dead, from any time period, who would they be?" Name five people from each of the following categories:Saints, Those in the Process of Being Canonized, Heroes from your native country, Authors/Writers, Celebrities.

Then, tag five people.

Saints

* St. John the Evangelist-the author of my favorite Gospel and the "beloved disciple" The caretaker of the Blessed Mother after the death of her son.

* St. Catherine of Alexandria-Little is really known about her so I would like to ask her directly to tell me her story.

* St. Gianna Beretta Molla-I would ask her what she would say to women considering abortion.

* St. Alphonsus Liguori-His book The Holy Eucharist and his prayers to the Blessed Mother are some of my favorites.

* St. Margaret Mary Alacoque-The Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is one of my favorites. I would just want to ask her what it was like to experience the visions, to have people doubt you. How did she remain steadfast?

Those Being Canonized

*Pope John Paul II - my maternal Grandfather and his Mother were from Poland. I still remember Grandpa's elation in 1978 when Cardinal Karol Wojtyla became Pope. It was a huge moment for Poles everywhere. John Paul II did not disappoint. I believe my discovery of the truth of the Catholic faith, owes much to him.

*Bishop Fulton Sheen - I'm too young to know his original run on TV but I really enjoy listening to him on Relavant Radio and EWTN. He is funny and orthodox. A very good teacher.

* Kateri Tekakwitha-I'm a Native American and the parish my Dad belongs to on the Leech Lake Reservation in northern MN prays for her Canonization at every Sunday Mass. Her strength in the face of persecution and her unwavering desire to become a Catholic are inspiring.

* Mother Teresa of Calcutta-I'd ask her how she maintained her Faith in the face of such poverty and suffering.

* Sister Anna Katharina Emmerich-She suffered (literally) for others. She believed by her suffering she was making reparations for others. She was a stigmatist. People that literally suffer physical pain baffle me. I would also ask about her visions of the Passion.


American Heroes

* Mother Angelica - one day, Mother Angelica will be on the list of those being canonized and then the list of Saints. I'm sure of it.

* John Adams-we would not have a Nation if he had not lived.

* General Robert E. Lee-I find him fascinating. Brilliant, tactical mind. Some may argue with my choice of him in the heroes category, but he felt strongly about fighting for his state's rights, but he also knew when it was time to walk away. After the Civil War he encouraged southerners to accept joining with the north. Because he was highly respected, a lot of southerners did so.

* Sacagawea -Lewis and Clark would have probably been lost or killed without her guidance. Without their maps of the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase would the U.S. extend to the Pacific?

* Thomas Edison-inventor of the light bulb, and the telegraph machine.


Authors

This is a tough one to limit to 5 because I LOVE to read!

* Thomas Hardy
* The Bronte's: Charlotte, Emily, and Anne.
* Dante Alighieri
* C. S. Lewis
* William Shakespeare


Celebrities

* Harrison Ford
* John Wayne
* Sir Alec Guinness
* Bette Davis
* Frank Sinatra

I don't know 5 bloggers that I feel comfortable tagging or who have not been tagged already so I'll pass. I hope this does not mean that I will have bad luck for the next 5 days!

2 Comments:

Blogger Adoro Te Devote said...

I didn't know you were Native American...of course, I've never met you. So it's only fair to tell you that I'm a mutt.

I have to ask if you've ever read, "Neither wolf nor dog", and if so, what your take was on the philosophy expressed within with regard to the Christianization of the Native people. If you haven't read it, you may want to. I found it fascinating and if I can find it, I'll lend it to you.

About the "bad luck" thing...no worries! Not a chain letter so it's just a matter of posting.

And I just realized I didn't give credit to RobK who tagged me...excuse me while I take care of that.

August 26, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

These answers are just great!! But of course, you are a librarian! :) I may try to do this meme myself soon; but I don't think I can come up with anything nearly as good as this!

God bless!

August 28, 2006 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page